Chapter 30 - Partnership

"What are you talking about?" he asked, scrunching his eyebrows. "I don't want to go with someone else. I want to go with you."

"Yeah, well, I can't really take time off of work right now. I'm going to be really busy if I get the marketing campaign for your Uncle's company and taking a week away could de-rail everything I'm trying to do with getting the partnership," she said, looking down at the ground. 

"You keep it. You're a good looking guy. I'm sure you'll be able to find a woman to volunteer to go with you in no time," she said, trying really hard not to cry, feeling her heart breaking just thinking about him on that trip with another woman. 

He stood there looking stunned. She walked past him and out the door of the lodge and over to their cabin, where she threw everything in her suitcase and headed outside. 

She ran into Mr. Tipton and he had a big smile on his face. 

"Emma! I hear you and Axel won the scavenger hunt! Congratulations!" 

"Thank you," she said half-heartedly. 

"I'm glad I ran into you so we could have a moment to talk alone. I wanted to let you know I've made my decision and I decided I want you to have the partnership. You're the best person for the job by far and after spending time with you and Axel this weekend I know that you're the ones I want to take over my company one day when I retire. I couldn't have found two better people and then one day your children and grandchildren will take it over." 

Hearing him talk about her children and grandchildren with Axel made her eyes burn and fill with tears. Just knowing that would never happen made her heart hurt so bad and tears started to stream down her face as she sobbed into her hands. 

Mr. Tipton put his arms around her and she cried into his shoulder. 

"Is everything okay?" he asked, patting her back. 

She stepped back and wiped her tears with her bottom lip quivering as more tears flowed. 

"Yeah, I'm just so happy," she choked out.  It was a lie. She had thought this partnership meant everything to her but now that she got it she couldn't even feel happy. This was supposed to be the greatest day of her life. She should be jumping up and down and squealing with excitement, calling Stella and telling her the good news.

"I'm so glad to hear it. Come to my office tomorrow and we'll sign all the paperwork to make it official. Congratulations," he said, patting her shoulder with a smile before he walked away.

She sighed, feeling miserable as she walked over to the van that was going to transport them all to the airport. She sat in the very last row against the window and put in her earbuds and leaned her head against the wall, closing her eyes. The last thing she wanted right now was to talk to anyone. 

By the time Axel got into the van, the back seat next to her was taken so he sat next to the driver, looking back at her with concern in his eyes but she just leaned against the wall and closed her eyes, listening to her music and blocking out the world. She just wanted to go home and take a hot bath and drink a glass of wine. She wanted to forget all about Axel.  

She stayed to herself the whole way to the airport, avoiding everyone and she boarded the flight, reluctantly taking the seat next to Axel. 

"Hey," he said. "You've been acting weird all day. Are you mad at me for something?" 

"No I just don't feel good. I got really drunk last night and I have a really bad hangover. I don't even feel like talking. I just want to sleep." 

"Ok," he said hesitantly. "Are you sure that's all it is?"