22. Jordi Does a Favor

"Dustin, will you stop?" I pry his arms off my waist. "I didn't come here for this."

He grins and flicks water at me. "Aw come on, have a little fun!"

I'm starting to regret my rash decision. I give myself one day off, and I'm spending it here? Doing this? When Dustin showed up at my doorstep earlier today, I'd been taken off guard. The guy had actually put in the effort to find a parking spot—not easy in this neighborhood—and come up to my floor instead of honking his horn.

"We really need help," he'd insisted. "Hardly anyone is going to be there. You'd be doing me a huge favor. We need every spare hand we can get."

The official reason for saying yes—the one I'm telling myself—is because I just wanted to be a good friend and lend a helping hand. But deep down, I wonder if I'm secretly hoping to recapture that feeling of comfort I used to have with Dustin? He doesn't care about my horrible grades and has no expectations of me. And maybe he's changing a little. He did put in the effort to come to my door after all.

I pause in my thoughts. Are my standards really so low that coming to my door makes Dustin more attractive?

Darts of cold water interrupt my thoughts, and I swat his wet hand away. "I said stop!"

He raises his hands in surrender but doesn't stop grinning.

I shake my head and turn to re-soap my sponge.

And freeze.

No.

No, no, no!

Seth?

The sponge slips from my hand with a splash into the bucket. He's watching me, face clearly crestfallen as he trails behind the team's enormous star linebacker.

Tai gives me the easy-going smile he's known for and hitches his chin up in greeting. "What's up, Jordi?"

I gave him a weak smile, eyes sliding back to Seth.

"Tai, my man!" Dustin tosses his sponge aside as soon as he sees his teammate. "About time you got here." They high-five and give each other manly back-slaps. "Ready to get down and dirty?"

"I was hoping we'd get clean. This is a car wash, isn't it?" Tai quips.

"Whatever man, go grab a hose."

"Hey, this is my buddy, Seth. Came here to help out." Tai shakes his friend's shoulder and catches Jordi's eye. "He's a good guy."

Dustin looks Seth up and down, quickly dismissing him. "Thanks, man," he says curtly before turning to sucker-punch the quarterback nearby.

Seth looks miserable, and I wonder if it's because of me. "Hi," I say, searching his face for some indication of what he's thinking.

"Hey," he mumbles, eyes dropping to my sandals.

"Seth, I—" The sudden jolt of water on my back makes me suck in a breath and whirl around.

I find Tai with upraised hands and wide eyes. Beside him, Dustin holds the hose and laughs raucously.

My nostrils flare. Overall, Dustin is a great guy, but I really hate who he turns into when he's around his team. It's like he goes out of his way to be obnoxious.

"Hey, new guy!" Dustin hurls a towel at Seth. "Go dry that car over there."

He manages to catch it, but one end of the towel still smacks him in the face. His jaw clenches as he turns around and slinks away.

I scowl at Dustin before grabbing an extra towel and trotting to join my favorite stalker. "Seth, I'm sorry."

"For what?" His sad brown eyes say everything. Sorry for that creep, Dustin? Sorry for leading me on? He begins wiping droplets from a newly washed Lexus.