Chapter 29 : Cave

Arthur's POV (guard)
Another wooden plank creaked beneath my feet whilst I leaned over the counter, reaching for a higher cabinet. Careful not to make the slightest of sound, I pulled out and placed on the counter a bag of carrots and a few cans of preserved food.

The plastic bag crinkled in my hold whilst carrying the food outside. I flinched at even the quietest noise I'd make as I knew, if I got caught then the consequences would be undeniably gruesome.

Pushing aside the large bolder, I entered the castles garden cave, meeting a usual dull pair of eyes that still carried a slight glint of hope.

"I bought you some more food princess Adelaide."

"Aw~ thank you Arthur. I really don't know what I'd do without you." She she jokingly fake-sobbed with gratitude.

Smiling, I tossed a carrot in Tuckers direction who was sat at the opposite end of cave from us. He happily neighed before chomping onto it.

*Flashback*
"Let's split up!" suggested the other guard as he trotted away on his horse. I carried on my search through the castle gardens when my eyes fell upon the opening behind a large boulder.

Pulling the rope to turn my horse, we trotted towards it. I jumped off, now inspecting this discovery before nearing it and entering. My eyes widened at my find.

Princess Adelaide.

"H-huh?" She looked up from a shed of tears, "n-no~ please~ please don't k-kill me. I didn't do anything! Hu-I-I promise." She weeped as I was filled with remorse at the heartbreaking words.

I couldn't do it.
*end of flashback*

I dragged a stool across the slate floor to sit opposite the princess and converse.

"Is there a chance of the war ending any time soon... I really just want to tell Hugo that I'm still alive." She huffed, staring down.

"I'm afraid war hasn't even considered the name of ending but I'm sure it will come around to that before too much damage is caused. As for prince Hugo, he really does miss you."

*Flashaback*
"Du... did you do it?"

"Yes your majesty, I have killed princess Adelaide with my own two hands."

"And...?"

"And like you asked... in the most painless way possible your highness."

He nonchalantly nodded and started to walk away before pausing in his steps and looking back at me.

"...what about her horse?"

"He- uhh- he ran away." I stuttered, not having thought of an excuse for that question.

"Find him. Kill him too." were his last words before walking off for real this time.
*End of flashback*

"He does?!" She beamed, face finally lighting up.

"Mhm.." I hummed, dishonestly.

I knew my lie wasn't worth it; after all, she would ending up knowing the truth. I just couldn't stop my self though, knowing all that princess had been through, he was her only happiness.

She reminded me of my own daughter, one day growing up to get married, having her own hustled life.

Nevertheless I wouldn't ever want my own daughter to experience such misery that the princess had and so this was the least I could do to make her situation less bitter.

Adelaides POV
My patience was slowly crumbling away with each passing day. You'll see yourself run out things to do when your on lockdown in a cave for over two months, though there isn't much to do for starters anyways. I wanted to see one person so badly.

Hugo.

No.

I'm not a lunatic and I was still mad at him. Regardless, I believed he deserved another chance. In concern to what I had been told by Arthur, Hugo felt great deals of grief regarding my 'death'.

Nuzzling into my pillow, I found it harder than usual to doze off tonight. Arthur had bought me the comfiest duvet set he found in the castle but the thick quilt still couldn't withdraw the chilly breeze.

My mind somehow travelled to the forbidden object that I had promised myself not to even touch. Hugo's diary. It was already hard enough for me to forgive him and I didn't even to further trouble myself.

Not staying true to my decision, I dragged my body towards the backpack I had once packed, running away from the castle and pulled out it's banned item. This time, nothing would stop me from reading.