Chapter 32 : Late Penitence

Eugene paced back and forth in his room, feeling burdened with all his crimes refreshed in his head.

*flashback*
"Arthur... stay..."
Arthur turned back around to face Eugenes now, suddenly, bloodshot eyes. "Don't leave...I know you need this job..." was all he was able to say. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to make the latter stop his leave.
*end of flashback*

Princess Adelaide was dead... and it was all his fault. His attempt to never fall in love again killed her. The insecurities he carried from his past killed her.

"A MONSTER! That's who you are! You find pleasure in killing your own loved ones, don't you!? First your brother and then... your own WIFE!"

Bolting up into the castle, he knew exactly what room he wanted to go into. His hands weakly gripped onto the door knob; turning it and pushing the door open.

"Adelaide~..." he called out in a breathy whisper. All the terrible memories of this room, vividly returning...

"What the hell are you doing?! Put me down you son of a-" she hardly coughed out, hanging like a tote bag off of my shoulder.
"If you weren't such a brat, I wouldn't have to do this." I scoffed carrying her out the room and down the hallway. "Put me down!" She cried out, fists drumming on my back as she tried trying to kick her way out, "where are you even taking me?!" she let out through cries. I dismissed her question and threw her onto the floor without hesitation. "In there. Sleep in there. You can come back for your luggage tomorrow." I ordered, gesturing at the door I had thrown her next to, before leaving.
(-the night of their wedding)

He was indeed a monster. Everything Arthur had said bout him being true. 'If only he could travel back in time to fix everything' was Eugenes only desire from the very beginning.

Holding on to the unchangeable past and letting it mould the same tormenting patterns in his present was a mistake he needed to stop repeating.

Arthur's blunt monologue had opened his eyes and an instantaneous pound of regret hit him. He needed someone like this earlier.

Someone to instruct him to follow the right path. Someone to show him that maybe the world doesn't only revolve around his problems.

~

Taking a step outside the bush he was hiding in, Arthur handed Adelaide her backpack, "have a safe journey... oh yeah, and remember, if you se-"

"Yes, yes, I know Arthur. If I see anyone from the kingdom of Debtford, I'll rush to the nearest village and hide. Now I'll take my leave."

Their lips curved into sad smiles as they said their farewells for the last time. Adelaide was now at-last galloping on her horse through the same grasslands she once used to arrive here.

The journey to the kingdom was made surprisingly safe; no attacks from any direction though it was still war season.