2 | Family Time

I was still snuggling with the pillow between my arms when someone forced it out from me.

Anyone in the house knows better than to disturb me when I was fast asleep, now whoever it was to have pulled my companion from me (most likely my brother), will have to face my wrath!

It was with this determination that I snapped open my eyes ready to hit him, but retracted my hand as soon as I found my mother with 'my companion' in one hand and a glass of water in the other.

Was she about to pour it over me? If that was the case then I assume that she must've called out for me to wake up, for who knows how long. I'm in trouble. But why wake me up so desperately? It's not like... I trailed off on my own thoughts as it hit me all of a sudden.

Sh**t!! It's my first day to school after summer holidays.

I didn't even bother to explain myself to mummy. I jumped out of my bed and ran straight into the bathroom. I brushed my teeth, took a shower as fast as I can, put on whatever clothes I found from my closet, dried my hair, collected it in braids and ran all the way down to grab my breakfast, only to be met with the mocking grin of my family. Seriously?

"WHAT? Why are you all looking at me like I'm some kinda animal which broke out from the zoo and entered our house?"

"Well, from the way you jumped out of your bed earlier, we might consider you one." Mummy chuckled.

"I'll try and laugh on that tomorrow. And what makes you laugh like that Kermit, huh?" I directed my question to my brother.

"Dad! Tell her not to call me that." He cried.

"Cut it off, he won't do that, 'cause he agrees that you're one and also, he loves me more."

"Dad loves me a thousand percent an___"

"Then I'll make my percentage a million." I giggled.

"Last time you said it was two hundred!"

"I just changed it."

"Enough, both of you." Daddy cut off our little morning-bickering routine. He was smiling widely seeing his children get on to each other. Yeah that's my daddy.

"We've never seen you get ready so fast dear, that was the grinning all 'bout." Daddy said.

"Yeah, even I'm surprised," I giggled "But it's my first day and also, I'm no more an elementary school girl! That phase of my life has been left behind now." I exclaimed with excitement.

"Yes yes, my girl is all grown up now." Daddy backed me up, with a smile of his own, which beamed with pride.

"Even I'm in the same class as that of hers, why is no one talking about it?" Kermit whined beside me.

My brother is a year younger than me. My parents said that, I appeared physically unfit when the age to enroll me into schools came, so they decided to have my admission done a year later along with my brother. So now here we were, both stepping into the 6th grade.

We both ended up in the same class right from when our kindergarten started. From then to all the way till when we were in our 3rd grade, just because we had the same birth month, I used to feed him with my own hands during the lunch breaks and made sure he's all cleaned up afterwards, the whole school thought that we were twins! Silly? I know.

Man, how can they ignore the fact that even if we had the same birth month, our birth dates had a week's gap?

"You're a man now Ryan and you know Han's a girl." Daddy said.

"Daddy! That's not fair, I'm not talking to you," I made a fake expression of being hurt and my brother laughed.

Daddy always said that my daughter is more stronger and braver than my son and I know that he means it, he doesn't just say it to give me some fake encouragement.

It doesn't mean that he lets my brother down, no, never. He loves us both equally and I know it won't change, no matter what.

"Okay, okay, now finish up your breakfast, so that your hustle bustle of the day doesn't go waste." Mummy brought in our breakfast and took a seat next to daddy and yes that 'hustle bustle' comment was for me, without a doubt.

We finished our breakfast, and got ready to leave. My parents found that I had a thing for writing so they found me a school where I can learn, enjoy and make progress to do something useful out of my silly paragraphs.

I was a person who wrote down her feelings of joy, sorrow and everything else, that gave me more peace than anything else. Now with me enrolled in a new school and my brother still going to the old one, daddy had to take me and my brother will be taking the school bus.

It was a little weird to go to school without him after all those years of going together. But I was also excited for the new environment I'll be in for until I complete my high school.

"Okay, now listen to me Kermit, I won't be with you from now on, please don't get into trouble, I won't be able to save you. Be careful." I ordered, he gave me a stern look for a couple of seconds and that's when I started to leave my chair because yes, he was chasing me.

We ran around the dining table until daddy caught us both and we shared a long hug, into which mummy was pulled in by daddy. It was our little family. We loved and supported each other and will always be there for each other no matter what. With that daddy made his way out from the house to start the car, I followed him only to be stopped by a hand around my wrist. I spun back and saw my brother.

"I will be careful and promise you that I'll stay out of trouble." He said.

I didn't want to cry on my first day to my new school, but it was hard not to. So I let my guard down and pulled my Kermit into a hug. He too enveloped me and when we pulled away I saw him struggling to keep his tears from rolling down his cheeks, I gave him one of my brightest smiles, hoping that it'd settle down his uneasiness, he smiled back assuring me that he's okay.

We started to walk towards the driveway hand in hand, with our mother following suit. I gently squeezed his left hand with my right before getting into the car with daddy. I waved at them from the car. Mummy had her left arm across Ryan's shoulder and he wiped off some of his tears that had shed earlier.

__________

Author's Note:

Kermit? Yeah, it's a nickname used for lil' brothers who are annoying ;-)

Yep, I'm aware that I told you the next part will shed some light on how our best friends met, but I guess this part was necessary.

Sorry to have busted your expectations. The expected part will be published soon, sorry again :-\

Read, comment, vote and share.

Thank you!

Hope you enjoy :-)