Missing the english test (N)

POV Natasha

I normally hate Mondays. For real. I do like my job, a lot. It's something about people being grumpy on Mondays, especially teenagers. They have this feeling every fun thing happens in weekends, which make them hate Mondays even more.

Today, however, I cannot wait to get to school. I've been wondering how Emma is doing. I dropped her off at home so hopefully she had a great night.

The classes pass and I get a bit nervous. Next group coming in, is Emma's group. They're having English today. They enter one by one and take a seat, but one seat stays empty ... Emma's. She isn't here. Again. I feel disappointed and sad at the same time. I want to drop everything, get in my car and go ask what's wrong.

I start the lesson and try to concentrate on the students who are present. When the school bell rings they all take their stuff and run out. What is it about students and the running? They always stroll in but sprint out. I don't get it, is it just me? They would climb over desks to get out faster.

As they're leaving I shout "do NOT forget the test on Wednesday" I hear some of them mumble own their way out, but it isn't going to stop me from taking the test. I only wanted Emma to know that too. She could fail not taking this test.

Days go by and it is Wednesday. Test day. I hope I see Emma today. She can't keep skipping. She will fail all classes. As her group enters, her seat stays empty. I've had enough. Already knowing the answer I ask "Is everyone in?" The students nod. "What about Emma?" A boy raises his hand "She is sick again" I don't know why the school doesn't tell me in time. I always need to find out afterwards. But only when it's about Emma, like they don't care. "She'll not attend school this week Miss brown" another student adds.

"Does anyone knows what's wrong?" Nobody says a thing. "Well, Okay then. Let's get started on this test" I pass the tests and return to my desk. I sit down and tell them to start. They turn their page and start on the test. I see some grimace and some confusion. One look is al it takes to figure out who had studied and who didn't.

"Good luck, whenever you're ready just put your paper on my desk and leave" I lean back and stare at a building outside. It is so quiet in the room, I can hear students breath and pens run on papers. I get lost in my thoughts. A week of sickness. Again. She can't be sick that often right? If she is sick, maybe she has some chronicle disease, or something severe that keeps her from coming to school every other week.

Nobody knows, not even the principal. He accepts the explanations or rather excuses he's getting. Yeah, excuses. Because I know for a fact she wasn't sick the first time, with the partying and all. Maybe I should pass by her house to drop off her schoolwork and to tell her about the test she missed. So she can study for it.

I get pulled back to reality as the first student puts her test on my desk. She is laughing while handing in. I'm not even surprised, she is a straight A student. The rest follows her example within 5 minutes. I take all papers and count them. Everybody turned in nicely and left the classroom.

I am free this afternoon because the other classes go on a little field trip. Since I'm not accompanying them, I get my stuff and get ready to go home. Instead of driving home I pull up in front of Emma's house. I get out and go over to the door. I search for a while and find the doorbell, I lift my hand and push it. A ring sound goes off. No reaction at all. I can't hear anybody and nobody is answering the door.

I get back in my car and drive to William. I hope she's with him. Or at least, I hope he can tell me where she is. As I'm driving several thoughts rush through my mind. Is this a good plan? I don't want her to get the wrong idea of me checking up on her. It maybe seem strange to her.

I don't want to scare her but I don't want her to fail. The mystery hanging around that girl is confusing me. I don't get it at all. Looking at the house where I dropped her , she comes from money. So it isn't her social status which is causing this misery. Or not the misery for school.

I stop in front of Williams house and ring the bell. William opens the door. He looks at me. "Hi Natasha, How are you? I didn't expect you here" He blocks the view inside with his body. He's wearing a long satin black robe with golden edges and further nothing than boxers. I can see his muscled chest and toned legs. What's up with this family being so damn athletic.

"I can tell" I let my eyes travel his body up and down. He gets my point and closes his robe with a smile. I wink at him "so, what can I do for you" "Well, I was actually wondering If you've seen Emma the past days?" His smile disappears and changes into a rather neutral face. "Eum ... no ... I ... eum ... I haven't " he's lying. Obviously. His eyes are avoiding mine and he's suddenly moving a lot.

"You sure?" "Yeah, I haven't seen Emma" He is acting weird. He even emphasized Emma's name. Right when I want to ask him to call me if he does. I see what I believed was Emma running up the stairs in shorts and an oversized t-shirt. She tried to be as quick as possible so I wouldn't see her, but I did. Why doesn't she just come to the door?

I'm not in the mood to start a fight. So I decide to play along "do you know where she is?" "I don't know where Emma is hanging out, but why the interest?" "I just want to check on her, can you tell her I'm looking for her? Or give me a call when you see her?" He nods

As i am ready to leave he grabs my hand "We didn't talk much past weekend at the barbecue. If you want we can try again this weekend? We're throwing a cocktail party. You're more than welcome to join us, you can bring your friends. I think Becky would really like to come" "I'll think about it, trying to party less for the job"

He smiles "I'll see you on the party" he winks and closes the door as I am walking to my car to get in.