Chapter 28 - Mutts & Peacekeepers

We went down into the main sewers after Pollux indicated the safest route out of here, waiting for Gale to fire an incendiary arrow to light up the end of the tunnel.

Slowly we made our way down, keeping as quiet as possible so that we didn't give away our position to the mutts, weapons and torches raised, ready for anything.

Gale led the way down, being the first one to check round a corner and assessing the risk.

We came across a gap in the wall that you would have to crawl through to get to another series of passages. Pollux crawled through, signalling to us to wait a moment while he scoped out the area.

I could feel my heart pounding, the blood rushing past my ears as the adrenaline circulated around me while we waited for Pollux, who reappeared round the corner to assure us it was clear and we could follow after him.

One by one we went through, dragging ourselves along the gap to reach the other side, Jackson keeping a continuous watch behind us. Once all of us but Jackson had made it and she turned round to push herself through the gap, a sudden feeling settled in my stomach as the light disappeared from behind Jackson, who must have sensed something behind her too because she spun herself round, only to be attacked by the very things we had been avoiding.

Katniss immediately blew up the gap with an explosive arrow, being knocked back by the force of the explosion. I quickly grabbed her arm and pulled her along with me as she got up, just behind Peeta and infront of Castor.

We all sprinted down the sewage filled tunnels, kicking water everywhere as we ran like prey being hunted by a predator. I heard a scream from behind me and managed to spare a glance over my shoulder to see Castor had met the same fate as Jackson.

Yells of his name could be heard from the filming crew, Gale having to push Pollux onwards as even more chaos broke out. Guns being fired, incendiary arrows being shot as we made our desperate escape.

The tunnels soon opened up into a larger room, metal support beams running along and a ladder. Our escape.

The mutts came from all sides, surrounding what was left of Squad 451, each of us having too many mutts clawing and running at us at once to pay attention to any to what was happening around us. I had lost my bow at one point during the commotion, and so resort to my throwing knives in my belt and the pockets along my pants.

I stabbed one as it came close to me, throwing the now bloody knife with skillfully accurate precision, creating a thud as it buried itself into the chest of one of the lizard mutts, hitting its mark. The animal slumped down into the water as I checked to see who had made it up the ladder, throwing another knife as a mutt neared me.

I saw that a couple of us had gotten to safety.

"Y/n, go!" I heard Finnick yell to me, and I made my way towards the metal framework, taking out my gun that had been holstered on my thigh to shoot any more that came near, and one behind Finnick.

Just as I reached the metal to pull myself up, a mutt sunk its claw into my thigh, dragging it along slightly before getting shot in the back of the head by Gale. Pain shot through my leg as I yelped.

"Go!" Gale yelled, giving me a boost onto the metal beam so I could get to the ladder, climbing up it as quick as I could, the adrenaline dampening my pain to make it bearable.

I waited at the top of the ladder at the edge of the tunnel, making sure all my friends got up safely. Gale, Peeta, Katniss.

As Finnick was half way up the steel ladder, I saw a mutt about to pounce at him, and shot once, twice, until it fell dead, giving the blonde a chance to get up the ladder.