4. The engagement

I stood in the middle of my bath pool staring at my reflection in the water. My hair was completely tangled because I had not been out of my room for days. I had refused to be out and Anastacia could not drag me out even if she wanted to. I had no plan on how I would overthrow Anastacia unless I proved that she killed my father or unless I kill her. Those were two things that I did not know what to do nor did I want to. I sighed and continued to focus washing myself. There was going to be a ball to officially welcome Emperor Attor and disgusting Prince Lykos to the kingdom. I obviously had to attend. It was duty or the people would think that something happened to me. It wasn't long before Louisa came in and I walked out of the water. She handed me a towel to dry myself before I headed to my closet. I didn't bother picking a dress. Louisa picked one for me. It was blue and simple but I frowned once she brought it out.

"I want a better dress than this. And I want it red," I told her. She nodded and went back to looking as I sat on a chair. Louisa didn't take long as she brought out a dress I had never worn. It was crimson from the start and became darker as it ended. The dress had intricate gold designs on the bodice. "I love it. Although I did not know I had it."

"You have thousands of dresses your highness." Louisa said with a grim smile. I looked at her questionly before she helped me put it on.

"I do not wish to go to this idiotic ball of Anastacia's. Who does she think she is?" I said frustratedly expecting an answer from Louisa. She did not say a thing. "Louisa?"

"It is not my place your highness." She said and I frowned. She was calling me your highness again. I knew something was wrong with her but then again everything was wrong in the palace. I heard a screams one night but I did not go to investigate since Louisa came to my room and insisted I didn't. She was never the same again. As the days went by she became more and more dull. I sighed as she did makeup and put on my shoes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Phillip!" I said happily as I finally spotted him. I had always danced with him. Ever since I turned sixteen, I didn't dance with anyone else. I knew they were just suitors for marriage after one ball over fifty asked for my hand in marriage and I politely declined. The ball room was lit by candles and torches and the music played. I had been avoiding people till I had spotted him. He was with his family but as soon as he saw me, he walked away from them.

"My family is insufferable." He said grumbling and I giggled.

"Your family loves you. Be glad for that." I told him.

"Would you like a glass of punch?"

"Please. I am not ready to dance." As we headed towards the drinks, I spoke to him about the goings of the castle. Sadly, he never looked once at me. He looked beside me which after sometime I got annoyed with it.

"Has a maiden caught your eye? You have not been paying attention to me!" I shouted but he shook his head.

"There's no maiden. For some odd reason Prince Lykos keeps looking our way." Phillip said with a frown. I froze. I had been ignoring it for some time but I could feel his glare.

"Phillip, could we go to your home? Right now?" I asked. I had a bad feeling about this. I was getting that gut feeling again.

" I do not think we can. The prince is headed this way." I wanted to run away but before I could do anything, Prince Lykos was already standing behind me. I turned around and took a huge step back.

"Evening Princess Ilene, Lord Phillip." He said with a bow and we did the same. "It's a wonderful ball, isn't it?"

"Yes, it is." Phillip said as he reached for my hand. It was not proper, especially at a place like this but I did not care. It felt as if the prince was towering over us. We both took a step back.