** THRITY-SIX **

"Sometimes problems don’t require a solution to solve them; instead they require maturity to outgrow them.”
― Steve Maraboli

******

            THE ADEBOWALES' SAT around the dining table, eating breakfast in their mansion. Joanne and Jared were discussing stuff about school while their parents eat in silence. That day, their mother was sitting with them at the table since she returned from her trip two days ago. Christmas is in two days so she was home to celebrate with them.

Fortunately.

But the children didn't seem to care. They were involved in their conversation. They had been ignoring her since her return. And she did not seem to complain about it.

Joanne turned in their father's direction.

"Daddy, is the outing this Saturday still on?" She asked.

"Of course," Jared answered before his father could respond. "It's still on, and compulsory. We can't go on the last Saturday of the month since I will be on the coterie annual trip."

Bayo smiled and nodded. "Yes, Jared is right. It's a tradition. And of course, it is still on."

Grin spread on the faces of the children.

"You promised me a challenge the last time, Dad. Don't back out again." Jared warned his father with narrowed eyes. He laughed quietly and he nodded in agreement as he twisted his fork into the spaghetti on his plate.

"I won't." He assured him, lifting the fork filled with spaghetti to his mouth.

"What are you guys talking about?" Helen spoke up, looking between her children and husband. It was obvious that she was oblivious to their discussion and she seem curious.

They all glanced at her without saying anything.

"I feel like I am an outcast here," Helen said, accompanying her statement with a light awkward chuckle. She didn't fail to notice the awkwardness in the air when she spoke up. And the children suddenly turned quiet.

It's been a while since she eats breakfast with her children and husband. They were always an uncomfortable silence in their midst when they were eating. And a few times, it was just the kids talking with each other and their father.

But she suddenly felt interested, also feeling left out, like she wasn't in the room. No matter how much she overlooked it sometimes, it does not change the fact that she gets affected. She was like an outcast in her family. She was doing her best. She thought. What more could they want?

"Would you mind sharing?" She asked with a small smile looking between Joanne and Jared.

The bored look that Jared's face turned to, also hit a nerve. He was looking excited and anxious while he was talking a few seconds ago with his sister and father. But the moment she spoke up, asking about their discussion, he turned to his food with a bored expression on him.

That was the new expression on her son's whenever she is around. That she had pinpointed. Just like when she arrived two days ago. He did not come out of his room until dinner and he acted like she wasn't there until his father called him out of it begrudgingly, he greeted her without so much as a glance her way.

"It's our monthly outing," Bayo answered when it seems like none of the kids want to reply to their mother.
Helen shifted her gaze to her husband. "Remember, we always go to Wonderland every last Saturday of the month."

Helen seems to be thinking about his response when her eyes flew wide open, remembering something. With awe, she asked. "Oh my God, do you still do that? It's the tradition we started for Joanne."