Breakups and Baggage

Breakups

I strolled the halls with Natalie, hand in hand. We had been dating for two weeks. She apologized after the party, saying she was drunk and made bad decisions, and I forgave her.

Natalie was cool to be around. She gave me attention, at least when she wanted to, but usually that attention wasn't anything nice like a heartfelt compliment or a hug. She just kissed me, like all the time. Of course I don't mind it, but it seems like she only thing she does. She keeps asking me to have sex, but when I say no, she gets angry or goes on her phone and doesn't even talk to me.

Natalie was texting or something, and she had let go of my hand.

"Hey I'm gonna go to the bathroom." She said, not even looking up.

"Want me to wait for you?"

"No just go to class." She mumbled.

"Oh. Ok, well, bye babe." I smiled, expecting something, but Natalie just walked away.

—————

"Hey mom?" I asked, getting Taylor's attention as she was making dinner.

"Yes?"

"How do I know if my relationship is healthy or not?"

Taylor stopped in her tracks. I don't know why I asked her this. I knew everything about the relationship was toxic. I guess I was still holding onto some little piece of hope.

"Is this about that Natalie girl?"

I nodded, not bothering to hide anything. I had told Taylor about her, not what happened at the party, or any of the sex stuff. That felt like something I couldn't talk about even if I tried.

"Well, first things first, if I don't like her, she's probably not good anyway." Taylor joked, but I thought she was serious.

"Oh."

"Darling I'm kidding. You need someone who makes you happy. If you have to question it, there's most likely a problem. A good partner cares about you and shows it."

I thought about it. I thought about Taylor and Joe's relationship. It's like they never got out of those first few days where you're totally infatuated and obsessed with your partner. They love each other so much it almost makes me sick. In a good way.

"Thanks..." I said, still mid thought, but the buzz of my phone distracted me.

It buzzed over and over with barely any break in between. I picked it up and saw the text.

Dude your girlfriend is cheating on you

*9 attachments*

There it was. Pictures and videos of Natalie making out with girls in the bathroom, her complaining about me in private stories, spreading all this hate just because I hadn't slept with her yet.

Some gay girls have the mentality and audacity of straight boys, which is the worst thing ever.

"Hey mom?"

"Hm?"

"How do I confront a cheater."

So yeah that was the breakup. My amazing two week relationship how fun. I just told Natalie that I didn't want to be treated how she's treating me, and I wasn't going to let her do it, and then just didn't talk to her ever again. She tried to protest, but eventually accepted it, saying I broke her heart or something. Oh well.

Baggage

I shouldn't have been sad. I broke up with her after all, but I couldn't help but feel this sense of horrible dread and boredom.

I found myself crying and becoming distant at times, for no reason at all. I didn't miss her, or at least I didn't think I did. What made it worse is that I saw her with her new girlfriend, and she looked so happy. She had that stupid little smile that I used to love. The way she used to be.

"What you're experiencing my love is an emotional hangover." Taylor said.

"What?"

"Your heart misses the affection, but you're also angry because she was a bitch. The two create this crazy explosion of emotion."

"So how do I fix it?"

"Pizza, ice cream, a romance movie, and a long talk. Write a song about it if you like."

I trusted Taylor. After all, she's been through so many breakups that she had to know how to deal with them by now.

So, I had the ice cream and the pizza. Even Joe joined in and we all watched Flipped together. We talked, and talked, and talked. Enough to help me get over a girl, at least a little.

"There's plenty of guys, gals, and pals in the sea..." Taylor said, pretending to be sentimental.

I playfully shoved her while Joe made a 'crazy' motion by swirling his pointer fingers near his temples.

I decided to go down to the recording studio, just to see what popped into my head. I wrote three whole songs. It was interesting how much an experience can inspire you like that.

After all that, I didn't see that girl much anymore. Maybe because I wasn't thinking about her, I didn't care. In fact, I may have even moved on.