Chapter 6

" Where is he?" I asked Grey, slightly panicked as Nolan and I showed up at the scene. 

" He is in the house. They have him quarantined in the main bedroom," Grey answered as he led me up the driveway.

" What happened?"

" the owner of the home was on the bus with the terrorists and accidentally took one of their bags by mistake. He cut himself and was inflected. While Tim questioned the man, he coughed blood onto Tim." Grey explained as my mind raced a thousand miles per minute. 

Grey led me inside the house, where I could instantly tell which room Tim was in based on the plastic wrap covering it. Chen and a doctor were looking at her phone while they talked through the door with Tim. I briskly walked over to them and watched what was obviously a live feed from Tim's BodyCam of the contents of the bag. Just as Tim started going through everything, we saw a man, who I am assuming is the homeowner standing up behind Tim with a chair raised above his head.

" TIM, WATCH OUT!!" We all three yelled at the same time before watching the man hit Tim over the head. We watched as The Chair made contact with Tim's head and watched him fall to the floor. The next few moments were full of panic as I pounded on the door, trying to get my husband to respond.

" Tim, are you okay!! Tim, can you hear me!!! Baby, answer me. What's going on in there, Tim." Tim may have only been out a minute or two, but it felt like a lifetime while I waited for a response. We finally saw Tim move as the homeowner was still violent, so Tim had to TASE him and handcuff him to the bed.

" All clear!" He called out. I let out a relieved breath.
" Tim, are you okay?" I called out
" I'm good." He answered flatly.
This was going to be a very long day.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

All afternoon I went between demanding answers and better timelines for when this antidote was going to get here to check with Tim and trying to gauge if he was really okay or if he was trying not to worry me.

Pete, the owner of the home, ended up having a seizure and passing away. Although I couldn't see him and he tried to reassure me that he was fine, I could tell he wasn't.

" Tim, everything is going to be okay. I really believe that,"  I told him. I was sitting with my back against the door. I could hear him playing videos of Toby on his phone. He was scared. Truly scared, and I had never seen him like this before. Sure, I had seen him afraid for my safety or even his own before when we were on calls that had gone bad over the years, but I had never seen him like this. 

" I know you do." he spoke lowly " That one of the things I love the most about you, Dolly is that you are just so damn optimistic." he chuckled dryly at the end because it was true one of his favorite things about his wife is that she can see the upside in anything and can keep the faith through any situation. 

" Well, one of us needs to be. We both know you are not exactly known for your sunny disposition,  babe." I chuckled sadly. I could hear him take a deep breath. " Tim, you will be fine. I promise." 

" Just in case I'm not ."

" No. Stop it. You'll be fine."

" But if I am not... I love you and Toby more than anything in the world but I... I can't go out the way my man Pete here just did. I just can't" As Tim spoke, my heart sank. "If I am gonna go out, I'm doing it on my own terms." I could hear his voice shake as he spoke. 

" Tim." I started but trailed off. What do you even say to this? " I love you, Timothy, and you will be fine, so don't get any ideas just yet, okay."  I had tears running down my face, but I did my best not to let my voice give away that I was crying.  " Because I refuse to let you get out of helping me refinish the deck before Toby's party this easy." We both chuckled.

 Once again, we found ourselves in silence. I was sitting against the door with my head in my hands, praying the vaccine would make it here soon.  When the doctor walked up and told me that it would be at least another hour and my heart fell into my stomach. I stood and  followed her outside.

"There has to be something you can do to get here faster, please," I begged with tears in my eyes again, getting frustrated at how long it was taking.

" Officer, I know you're worried about your partner, but we are working as fast as possible." The doctor spoke with frustration. 

" He is not just my partner. He is my husband. And the longer he is in there, the more likely it is that he is infected, and the more likely it is that the vaccine won't do shit" The doctor only stood there, " He has been locked in that room with a corpse for hours. You need to get him out of there. I understand you have your protocols and whatever, but if this is the quickest response time the CDC has when it comes to one of the most densely populated cities in this country and a bioweapon, there is a bigger problem at play here."

" Mam, I understand this is a stressful situa-"

" Oh, you understand? You can't possibly understand because you are not the one who has to go home and look our son in the eye if his dad dies today, so don't you dare stand there and tell me you understand. You have no idea. Get him out there." I spoke in a low tone I had only used a few times in my life, and I felt an anger I hadn't felt in years bubble to the surface.

Grey walked up to me and placed a hand on my shoulder, trying to calm me done, but  I turned and walked off toward my shop, which was still parked in the driveway.  I went around to the other side where no one could see me, and the second I was out of sight, I lost it. I couldn't keep myself calm anymore. These people didn't even seem to care that my husband could already be infected or even worse, he's not, and they have him trapped in there with a biological weapon. Then I may have done the stupidest thing I could've at that moment and looked up the symptoms of Hemeragic Fever and how it progressed, which did nothing but make me cry even harder. The Symptoms were terrible, the kind of thing you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy. 

"They are doing everything they can." A voice spoke, startling me. I turned only to see the voice belonged to Lucy. 

" I know that. but it's not enough."  I said, putting my head back in my hands. " I can not lose my husband too. I've Lost my parents, my sister, and brother-in-law.... my Daughter" My voice went a little quieter at the end. " I can't lose Tim too." 

" You won't." Lucy spoke," When I first met Tim, he told me that the shop was a 'personnel life-free zone,' but that quickly went out the window the second you guys got custody of your nephew. Every day he comes in with a new picture or video or even just a story about You and Toby, and his face just lights up. A man who loves his family as much as Tim does will fight till the end of the earth to get home to them every time. So time will make it out of this, especially if he has anything to say about it." Lucy said, attempting to comfort me.

" Yeah, But what if he doesn't?"