Chapter 31

***Anna***

Anna let out a startled scream when she saw Solmin unceremoniously drive his sword toward Rye.

The jackass winked at her as he easily dodged the attack and parried it with his own sword. How could he be so calm? The reality that he could die hit her like a brick. It was like she was in the lake again, being dragged and drowned by the mysterious powers of the Fates.

Solmin's eyes spoke murder, glazed over, yet thunderous. He looked demon-possessed and he moved like a snake. Venomously, he continued to strike. One after the other as Ryevin dodged, blocked, and baited him.

Rye laughed. "Surely, you can do better, Solmin. I've heard stories of your prowess in battle. Right now, I can't tell if you fight like the old man that you are or like a fledgling."  Solmin drove ferociously at him, Rye moved swiftly out of his way. "A fledgling then," he taunted.

Solmin hissed as he turned back to him. His gold eyes swirling. With lips upturned in a humorless grin, Rye waited for him to strike again. 

There was a lump in Anna's throat and she couldn't remember the last time she breathed. Why were men so stupid? Rye kept poking the beast and toying with him, prolonging her torture.

It had to be the testosterone.

She sneaked a glance at Casten, who of course was watching the fight like a statue. As were Mat and Von who momentarily only felt satisfaction and anticipation. That was good. Right? They are warriors and all, if they weren't worried, then she wouldn't be either. Or so she told herself.

Solmin raised his sword above him, and Anna winced as he swooped his sword down at Rye's head. Rye turned his body just in time and again, he laughed.

Von looked down at her. "You look as though you will be sick. Your man is doing well. He has restraint and patience."

"Why does he keep goading him?"

"Watch him, Anna. Solmin does not like feeling a fool. He is losing his control, it will make him sloppy." Anna nodded and swallowed. Rye knew what he was doing. She let his confidence embolden her.

Solmin spun his sword around like he was a ninja. It looked ridiculous. Ryevin must have thought so too, because he chuckled. "I like that move. I can do you one better."  With one hand, the sword made a fast circular motion and Rye let it drop, caught it in mid-air and then quickly swept it toward his opponent's gut. Solmin moved, but not quick enough and the sword slashed his side.

Red stained his ivory tunic. Enjoyment pummeled into her chest and she realized the feeling was from Von. He smiled down at her and said, "That was the best trick with a sword that I have seen." With wide eyes, Anna nodded.

Sobering, Solmin stood erect and held his sword out. He didn't acknowledge his wound. With an ugly sneer, he spat, "Do you want to hear the plans I had for her?"

"No." Rye feigned left with his foot, but then struck Solmin on the right, slashing him across the shoulder.

The older man's body stumbled back, and Rye took advantage. He thrust his sword on his left, but Solmin managed to block it time.

With swords still touching, Solmin started pushing back and snarled, "I decided to keep her in the dungeons with the rats." Ryevin's feet were planted and he didn't budge. His muscles tensed in his arms as he pushed against the other sword.

He didn't respond to the baiting words that Anna had no doubt were true.

Solmin's teeth clenched and he continued. "Don't worry. Men would have been sent down to keep her company. I wouldn't want her bloodline to go to waste, now would I?" Anna's gut coiled and anger burnt a fire in her chest. Her feelings mixed in with those of Mat and Von. She pressed her nails into the underside of her wrists and grounded herself.