Chapter 8

CHAPTER EIGHT

The marshals finally showed up; to Jean's surprise, it is the slave he saved years ago. Jean had always wondered what became of his friend. That day many years ago and his harsh words often haunted the Cajun.

"Jean. I think it is time you finally listen to reason." Samuel dismounted his horse and walked towards the men with his rifle pointing downwards.

"Awe, marshal. I am glad you are here." The mayor finally spoke up.

"You hush mayor. You are in a heap of trouble. The amount of evidence we have on you is daming. You and your men are looking at a trial."

"They won't make it to trial," Jean grunted between clenched teeth.

"Time to stop killing Jean." Samuel raised his voice. Jean stood quietly eyeing not only the men but his old friend.

"Seems you made your way up in the world?" Jean muttered.

"And it seems like you finally found your man...but I can't allow you to kill him."

"And why not?" Jean hisses

"He deserves a trial."

"You know what he has done. And what I have gone through chasing him down. No. This is my justice to serve."

"It is not justice but revenge." Samuel proclaimed.

"So be it."

"No Jean. This has to end. Your whole life wasted on this pursuit of evil has turned you into the very man you chased." Jean ignored Sam and raised his gun aiming it at Charlie. Samuel stepped in between the two men. Jean continued to aim the gun as his eyes moved to meet Sam's.

"Get out of the way Sam."

"I couldn't stop you then but will stop you now. I will see to it that he gets his punishment but not from you, not like this." Samuel and Jean continue to glare at each other without moving. The unspoken words between them were clear. Jean would either have to back down and allow Samuel to bring them in, or Jean would have to shoot his friend to kill his enemies. Seconds felt like hours as Jean continued to aim the gun. Everything he had worked for and sort after was within his reach, but he was unable to obtain it. He lowered the gun slowly. As much as Jean wanted this man dead, he could not hurt Samuel to do it.

"Arrest them." Samuel motioned for the other marshals to arrest the mayor and his men. The whole time Jean watched the men be carted off while Samuel watched Jean.

Charlie and his men's trial was short. They were hanged a week later. Jean of course watched from a distance, cursing the fact he wasn't the one doing the killing. The mayor was shipped off back to New York for additional trials there. A new mayor was elected and all had seemed to be put right, for everyone except Jean. His whole life was devoted to killing Charlie; he had nothing left after Charlie was dead. He was still upset that Samuel stopped him, but he knew and understood why he did it. Samuel extended an invitation for Jean to join the marshals once more, but Jean refused. The preacher also asked for Jean to stay and help with the rebuilding of the town and even help in the church, but Jean refused that as well. Margot even extended her hand for him to stay with her, but he refused. Jean would ride off west to try and do something to do with his life or some sort of peace.

"I thought he would stay or at least join us under the badge."

"He will never find peace unless he gets back with Jesus Samuel. We both know that. He knows that. Jean knows both the law and the Bible and refuses to do both." The preacher spoke as he stood beside Samuel.

"The harvest is great but the laborers are few." The preacher sighed and patted Samuel's shoulder.

"I pray Jean comes to his senses. Life is short and he is up there in age. Surprised he lasted this long. Gunslingers rarely see old age." Samuel glanced over at the preacher.

"God has mercy on dear Jean, and he isn't done with him yet."

Luke 10:2 — King James Version (KJV 1900)

2 Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the laborers are few: pray ye, therefore, the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth laborers into his harvest.

Jesus then turns to his followers and informs them that the crop has already been plenteous. Only a few workers, though, are willing to go out and gather the ready crops. By saying this, the Son of God is stating that there is a ripe harvest of lost souls. They long for a decent shepherd to guide them and are eager to learn about God's kingdom. However, most Christians do not actively reach out to share the Good News of salvation with them. They should be pointing them to Jesus as the Way, the Truth, and the Life.

The End