Chapter 9

Brothers? I'd always imagined what it was like to have siblings but eight brothers?

I had first suspected that I had at least one after finding that crumpled up picture lodged in a little compartment in my backpack that I had no idea about. That picture is the only thing keeping me from grabbing Bear and jumping out the window, I wouldn't have believed them otherwise .

I recognized the boy in the picture, Angelo the second I saw him. I must have looked at that picture a thousand times over the past few years, trying to recall any memories from the time it was taken. I looked like I was happy, my goofy smile was visible in the picture as I looked at Angelo, admiration in my eyes. But looks can be deceiving.

I hadn't even realised that I'd zoned out until the tallest one, who was covered head to toe in tattoos started talking. "We want to take you home Darcy," Arlo says calmly, "Where you belong," he adds.

I finally lift my head up to make eye contact with him, only to look down again when I discover they're all staring at me. "Why don't you go change and then we can talk," Luca suggests, eyeing my completely soaked outfit.

Home. They want to bring me home?

Why would they want me, they don't even know me. Even if they were actually my brothers, I'm not the same girl they knew when I was little.

They're all so big and tall, they literally tower over me. If they turned out to be horrible I'll have to worry about all eight of them whereas here I only have to worry about Calvin's temper, the rest are just neglectful but won't lash out at me unless they have a good enough reason and my main problem is barely ever here.

They could be like him.

No I won't let it happen. I can't trust them even if they're being nice to me. I nod my head in agreement at Luca and grab some clothes, but I have no intention of getting changed.

Darcy looks nervous as she shuffles to her dresser and pulls out some clothes, not even looking at the ones she's picking

Darcy looks nervous as she shuffles to her dresser and pulls out some clothes, not even looking at the ones she's picking. A few minutes ago she was showing signs of becoming less tense but that terrified look has returned on her face.

I look around at my brothers, I think we're all scared that she's going to freak out and do a runner and our fears are confirmed when she beckons the dog to follow her out of the room.

Why would she need the dog to come when she's only going across the hall?

Lorenzo picks up on this, "Leave the door open please," he says softly, but everyone could tell it was a direct command. I don't think I have ever heard that man say please.

Darcy nods her head like it's no big deal but I can see the panic in her eyes. She enters the dingy bathroom which is directly opposite to her room and closes the door. Her open bedroom door gives us a direct view of the bathroom door, we were ready if she opened at and ran out.

She takes a while but we wait patiently.

Lorenzo had drilled into us how this whole process would require a lot of patience from us. Knowing what we knew about Darcy's injuries, it took everything in us to not storm in here and torture everyone until we got answers then grab Darcy and go home.

But Lorenzo said we need to let Darcy choose to come with us so it's less traumatic. Obviously we wouldn't let her stay here either way but the illusion of choice would provide her with some comfort.

As soon as we get Darcy out of here, the three vans filled with our soldiers parked down the block will come and deal with the wastes of life that have been 'looking after' Darcy and transport them to the cells. The children living here will be sorted out with adequate care, Arlo has already sorted that out.

Darcy finally opens the door, her soaking hair now parted into two long braids cascading down her shoulders. She looks adorable drowning in her oversized overalls that she has rolled up at the bottom, preventing herself from tripping on the much too long material.

She stops before entering the room, looking at us then looking down the hall. She looks torn between giving us a chance or bolting but when she looks at her dog who's sitting next to Alonzo's feet she makes up her mind, clearly desperate not to leave him behind.

Once she's back in the room Lorenzo wastes no time, "Listen Darc, you don't deserve to live in a place like this," He reasons, bending down to meet her eye level. She doesn't reply, nervously shifting on her feet. "We want to take you back home to Italy to live with us, you can bring your dog and all your belongings," He continues.

"You'll even have your own room, much bigger than this one," Luca excitedly interjects, smiling brightly.

Darcy still looks unsure. "Come look at this," Arlo says, pulling out his phone. Darcy reluctantly makes her way to Arlo, keeping a healthy distance between them as she looks at his phone.

For the next ten minutes we look through pictures and videos of us as children. There's hundreds of videos of us playing together, laughing with one another or hugging each other.

"See we loved you so much, we still do," Arlo assures, looking at her tenderly. This seems to be the nail in the coffin as Darcy looks hopeful instead of scared.

But that hopeful look is soon replaced with one of utter terror as her bedroom door flies open.