7.

The Baxter Building was surrounded by an enormous crowd like it was Good Morning America as people came around to watch as if we were the Kardashians. I quickly followed Reed and Sue into the building not wanting to linger outside any longer. Jimmy, the doorman greeted us. Johnny called out to me, but I just ignored him and waited for Ben.

Just after my brother and Johnny entered inside, Willy, the mailman gave Reed a stack of envelopes. I knew they were about his bankruptcy and the mortgage. Ever since Reed went bankrupt, Layla, Howie, Ingrid, and Cameron all offered to move into the building and help him pay off the mortgage, but he declined not wanting to burden my best friends with his problems. They were willing to help him out in any way they could. 

"We had a tough year," Reed explained to Susan and walked into the elevator.

"Yeah, like nine straight," Ben added and followed him in.

After all five of us got into the elevator, the pulleys started creaking and a loud thud occurred and stopped moving.

"Either we're moving really fast or not at all," Johnny remarked still being sarcastic.

An alarm went off. I noticed we were still on the main floor and the message, 'Exceed Maximum Weight' popped on the level teller. I wondered what was causing the elevator to not move at all. The bell dinged and the doors slid open.

"I'll take the stairs," Ben sighed sadly and walked out not even glancing at us.

I quickly zipped out of the elevator before it shut. There was no way I was letting my big bro take the stairwell alone with his depressing thoughts.

"You know you could've just taken the elevator, Ari," Ben suggested as we headed up the stairwell.

"No way was I gonna let you be alone, especially after, well you know," I stated, "And besides, you had me worried sick when you ran away." I placed an arm on his shoulders.

"I'm sorry I made you worry sis," he apologized, "I wasn't sure how you would react on seeing me like this."

"Hey, you're my big bro, on the inside and out."

Ben smiled at me, "By the way, where did those vines come from?"

I rolled up my sleeve showing him the rose tattoo, "This came from one of the samples I was holding when the storm hit the station." I focused and one of the vines moved, coiling my arm, and gently sprouted making it look like I was part plant.

"That's neat," my brother remarked in astonishment.

"That's not all I can do," I added as my arm went back to normal and held out my right arm and a snowflake about the size of my hand formed itself on my palm.

"Again, that is radical."

"It sure is." 

Both of us continued up the stairs sharing stories. My brother laughed when I told him about Johnny wearing the pink parka around himself. Though Ben was ready to punch him for walking in on me still in a bath towel.

"He was more surprised about my snow-covered room and thought I had gotten a tatt than me naked," I added after relating how I discovered my powers.

"I know," he nodded in understanding but was still eager to knock the living daylights out of Johnny.

As we neared the top floor, the lights started flickering strangely, and another familiar voice that we both dreaded hearing.

"I don't want to understand it! This isn't one of your science projects!" Victor roared at Reed.