Chapter 26 - Nicolas

My shock wore off immediately as Blood Alpha Cooper walked through the portal. His aura is too strong. I instinctively took a few steps back and pulled my mate behind me.

This wasn't good.

If Lachlan rejects her, she will die. Littles can't handle that pain, and Grace has already been through so much.

As Grace's Gamma, I know what's locked in her mind, and it's not pretty. Being a Little wasn't something she was born with. It's from the abuse and loss of her childhood.

I'm praying to the Moon Goddess that he accepts her. Her rejection and resulting death would devastate her family, especially after everything she's been through.

Kayla could feel my stress and worry, so she motioned the others to get the boxes through as quickly as possible so we could close the portal.

I kept my eyes on Lachlan, wondering how much they would tell him. Blood Alpha Sinclair figured it out first and gave his Beta the final clue.

Lachlan's reaction was unexpected.

I stared in astonishment as his wolf took over, shifted-- leaving shredded clothes flying through the air, and went straight for the portal.

He ran full tilt and leaped at the last second, causing those coming through to scatter out of the way.

But he couldn't go through it. He just landed on the ground, a few steps away. His wolf tried several times, jumping repeatedly, refusing to believe there wasn't a way through.

Finally, it just hunched down and howled in distress and anger. A few people came running, but only part of the pack. I'm assuming his Blood Alpha had warned them.

Walking over to him, Blood Alpha Cooper touched his shoulder, sending a calming vibe that I could feel from here.

"If there is a way, we will find it." He promised.

A flash of red caught my eye, and I screamed.

"NO!"

Grace came running through the portal, still in puppy form. Several people tried to grab her, but like all Elementals, she was quick as she ran through the grass. They are highly trained and can evade capture most of the time.

As if time had momentarily stopped, everyone froze in place, including Grace.

While watching her, we did not notice the second portal open-- or its occupant, until we suddenly could not move.

"Need some help, Sam?"

All Blood Alphas could move freely, unlike the rest of us. Luckily, I was looking toward Lachlan when the power hit, putting them all within my line of sight.

"I wasn't prepared for this disaster." He admitted.

The newcomer turned to the Sinclair Blood Alpha.

"I'm sorry we are meeting this way and that I came without an invitation, but the situation was dire from what I could see. My name is Brian. My official title is Blood Alpha Kelly, but no need to be formal."

After he received a quick nod, he walked over to Grace. When he leaned down to pick her up, a growl came from Lachlan, even though he hadn't moved.

The Blood Alpha's power allows us to breathe and our hearts to beat but little else. That growl was a fantastic feat, but the mate bond is a compelling force.

"No worries, friend. I'm bringing her to you."

Blood Alpha Kelly picked her up and put a finger to her forehead, putting her to sleep and releasing her from his power. She yawned and started snoring lightly.

He then walked over to Lachlan and did the same to him. Once they were both asleep, the larger wolf was positioned to his side in the shade of a tree, and she was placed up against his neck, with one massive paw wrapped around her small form.

The Blood Alpha then pulled a strand of translucent ribbon from the mind of the sleeping wolf and connected it to Grace.

"There. Now they can talk without the mate bond creating havoc."

"Brian?"

"Yeah?"

Blood Alpha Cooper waived his hands in the air, circling the area.

"Of course."

Everyone started moving again as the bond holding us was lifted. The Mahani shook it off and continued with the boxes. The Sinclairs were a little too stunned and just stared.

"Do you think that was a good idea?" Came from the Blood Alpha Sinclair, pointing to the two sleeping wolves.

"Yes. This isn't the first time a fated mate wanted to accept an Elemental. They must talk it out as humans to decide what is best. In this type of sleep, they can do that without their wolves overpowering their thinking."

"Grace's wolf heard his howl and came to comfort him. Lachlan would have killed to get to her. It's a potential disaster for a Mate Meet. Especially since her human didn't have control over her powers." Blood Alpha Cooper pointed out.

"What happens..."

The Sinclair Blood Alpha was cut off by a newcomer pushing past the people coming in and out of the first portal.

The Mahani Luna was in wolf form, looking like a cross between a wolf and a Samoyed. Her beautiful white fur completely fluffed out in stress.

"Where is she?!"

The demand flashed through everyone's mind, causing several people to wince.

"She fine, love. Brian arrived in the nick of time." As her mate said that, he turned back to Blood Alpha Kelly. "And how did you arrive in 'the nick of time', my friend?"

The Luna finally noticed the sleeping wolves on the grass and took a guard position beside them.

"I may have felt the stress flowing from Nicolas and took a peek through his eyes." Blood Alpha Kelly said with no embarrassment.

"You know you're not supposed to do that. What if he was in a therapy session?"

"He was given another week off. And I knew he was moving to the pack today. You can't blame me for keeping tabs on him."

He didn't say it, but I heard the 'after what happened to him' coming through.

"Speaking of which, where is my new daughter, Nicolas' lovely lady? We have yet to be introduced!"

Everyone turned to me at that moment. I had always hated being the center of attention, and he knew this. At that moment, he wanted the focus off of him, so I obliged.

"Hey, Dad."

*******

Did anyone see that coming?
--April