Chapter 29 - Holly

Grace and Doc are helping Nicolas move today. I'm still in a state of shock over his Alpha mate accepting him. That doesn't happen.

Finding Noelle's mate was a kick in the gut for me. Don't get me wrong, my sister and I fought as sisters, but we also cared for each other. She held me as my wolf cried, knowing our mate died before we came of age. I held her as she worried about whether her mate would accept her, as she was an Omega. Her goal was to be a field doctor, and she was halfway there when she was killed.

I need to focus on the here and now, not the past. With a deep breath, I returned my brain to the screen in front of me.

While technically I'm off today, I'm sitting at a desk in the infirmary, reviewing all of these medical records. I agree with Luna Lily. Something is fishy here.

I'm noticing all of the wolves rejecting their mates are close to the same age and all from one of four packs. On a hunch, and because of how much trouble he's caused lately, I checked whether those four packs were involved in the Wolf Camp massacre.

Yup.

I started the procedure for a formal investigation with Delta Two, who was on duty today. She will take over from here.

He could have done this years ago if it was Blood Alpha Sands. I'm curious to know how he caught these children unaware, and something like this would involve several commands to go undetected. It would have had to be planned out in detail in advance and gone unnoticed as most don't find their mate until they start going to festivals once they are adults in their chosen careers and can support a family.

Each one will have to be found, and the Alpha commands removed. If they still want their fated mate, Mahani Blood Alpha Jones, of the African tribe, should be able to repair the mate bond.

What a mess.

I sent the files with my connected dots to Delta Two and decided to check on Grace. They should be done by now.

When I tried to mindlink her, it bounced back--like she was unconscious or worse. I mindlinked Doc in my panic.

"Doc!" I screamed.

"She's okay, Holly. Calm down." Doc's voice was serious, so I knew it wasn't good.

"Why is the mindlink not going through?!"

"Blood Alpha Kelly knocked her out." She explained in a calm voice.

"Why?"

"She met her mate."

No. No! NO!

This is a death sentence for her!

My wolf howled her anguish in my head as the tears ran down my face.

"Where is she?" I barely managed to get the question out.

"Our parent's house. Breathe. He's not going to reject her. He's the other brother from the Sinclair pack."

While I did hear Doc, my heart wouldn't leave my throat as I ran across the compound towards the house in the center, the Blood Alpha's home.

I burst through the door and into the arms of Luna Lily, who was waiting for me. She wiped my tears away as her aura calmed me and my wolf.

"She has a wonderful mate who would never reject her or take another in her place." She told me. "He wants her safe above all else."

Once I was calm, she took me to Grace's room, which never changed even after she moved out. I know she still stayed here while struggling with her Little self. Grace had excellent control over when she would go into Little Space, but the nightmares still messed with her occasionally.

Unlike most Alphas who start missions at 18, she wasn't allowed until 21 since she had to convince them all that she was stable enough not to fall apart, no matter what she saw.

All Elementals have another Alpha by their side during a mission, so they can literally throw them through an Alpha ring portal if necessary. It's been done before, like when Doc met her mate. That was a mess, too.

While most wolves are thrilled to meet their fated mates, the Elementals and the Mahani, in general, are leery.

When we entered the room, Grace was in human form, wrapped up in a thick comforter I didn't recognize on her white daybed. She had Charlie tucked in with her, but I could tell he was put there by someone else. She holds him differently.

I sniffed the air and stepped back as I didn't recognize the scent.

"It's his blanket. He has her red flowered one." Doc said from beside the bed. She was sitting on the floor, her back against the wall.

"When will she wake up?" I asked, still staring at my best friend.

"Probably within the hour. Nicolas is keeping an eye on his new brother. Leah is working on a solution." She replied flatly. "At least we can thank the Goddess it was this pack. Any other pack would have rejected her outright and watched her die."

"No more negative talk, young lady! She is alive and will stay that way!" Luna Lily admonished.

We all stared at Grace for a few more minutes before Doc spoke up.

"If anyone can figure this out, Leah will."

We all hummed in agreement before our minds started spiraling again. Trying to stop the worst thoughts and think positively is hard.

"By the way, Luna Lily, you were correct. All of the wolves who rejected their mates seem to be siblings or friends of the siblings of those involved in the Wolf Camp deaths. They are all within those four packs. I sent everything to Delta Two for review." I said softly.

"I just knew it wasn't chance," she said. "I'll let Sam know we have some work to do."

I walked over to the bed and reached down to adjust Charlie. For some reason, it bothered me that he wasn't positioned correctly. When I touched the blanket, Grace growled, and I jumped back.

"She did that to me, too, when I tried to put him in with her," Doc snickered.

I sat down on the floor beside Doc and leaned my head on her shoulders.

"She was so scared," Doc said softly as the smile left her face. I hadn't ever seen her so serious.

"What do we do for her?" I asked the room at large. The Luna was the one that answered me.

"We remind her of the one thing that is always greater than fear."

"What's that?" I responded.

"Hope."

*******

Please vote and comment! If you like my book, please add it to one of your public reading lists. Thank you!
--April