9. Adrift

When I stepped through the hatch and onto the quarterdeck, Jenson pointed forward. "I bade Bosun to have the sailmakers cobble together the shredded portions of the mizzen sail to fashion three weighted bags, sir."

"Weighted bags? For what purpose?"

"Two are now rove to the hawser as drags to make the change even less apparent to them."

"Oh, how clever. And the third?"

"When we have lost way, we will stream it from the bows to maintain our head into the wind and seas, sir. Prevent sliding into the swell troughs and rolling excessively."

"More cleverness. You increasingly impress me, Master."

"Thank you, sir." He chuckled and nodded toward the bows. "And their incompetence and lack of skill increasingly amuse me. They had bent the hawser to the bitts in a manner that would make Gordius proud, and with the tautening from being towed, it is impossible to untie. So, at your signal, Bosun will use an axe in place of Alexander's sword."

"A fine solution, both then and now." I tilted my head and examined him. "You seem well acquainted with Greek Mythology."

"I had read it while at Cambridge – as a diversion from the rigorous austerity of mathematical physics."

I pursed my lips and nodded. "You reveal a depth and complexity I had not realised, Master. We must discuss this further." Then, turning my attention forward to see Bosun watching, I asked Jenson, "Is all ready?"

"Aye, sir. But for their stern lamp, they do not show. And its glare will blind their view of us."

Then, after lifting an arm, I swung it quickly down, the sound of my hand slapping the rail echoed by a thwack from the bows. Atlantica continued forward, her momentum carrying her as if still in tow.

We stood in silence for a long while, our rolling in the swells slowly increasing as we lost way. Then, Jenson called, "Bosun! Cast the sea anchor."

"Aye, Master. Launch sea anchor."

The rolling gradually eased as it changed to a gentle pitching. "Well done, Master. Now, let us hope none use a glass to find us."

"We have now more than doubled the distance, sir." He extended a telescope and lifted it to his eye, and after many slow sweeps, he said, "Only the stern lamp. Their sails do not show, so we will not."

"Excellent! What progress with the rigging?"

"The mainmast is ready, sir. The next task is to clear away the collapsed foregallant and top, so we can rerig the inner jib."

"And the mizzen?"

"The sprit is beyond repair, but when we have moonlight, the shipwrights will splint the boom, and we will cut down what remains of the mizzen sail to fashion a footed jib."

"Superb thinking and governance." I paused to ponder. "Why had you sailed as assistant to the master?"

"This voyage was to prove my merit. Captain Overton –" He closed his eyes and winced. "Your father confirmed last week in Kingston that my next voyage would be as master."

"And I will reconfirm. You have far more than proven yourself."

"Thank you, sir. And, if I may, why had you sailed as Second Officer rather than as his First?"

"He wanted to allow Mister Angus to prove himself." I grimaced at the thought of having lost so many.

"Aye, a fine officer. He would have made a great captain."