23. Emergence

Jenson, Martin and I continued our discussion, refining ideas, and by the time the longboat returned, Atlantica was afloat, the small swells gently nudging her against the slope of the sandy bottom.

As Bosun boarded, I bade him to the quarterdeck. Then, after explaining what we wished to do and why, I said, "It will serve our purpose better if you remain up here with us, observing. Who else should we exclude?"

"Hudson and Radcliff, sir. Between the two of them, they would have everyone organised and the task accomplished, and we would learn little."

"Thank you. Bid them here."

As he did that, I turned to Martin. "Who among your hands would be similar?"

He shook his head. "None, sir. But now aware of your method, I fear I was too overbearing to allow any opportunity for those with potential."

"Then, we shall offer the opportunity."

When Hudson and Radcliff arrived, I explained what we intended to do and how. Then, I said to Hudson, "Ring all hands. Muster aft of the mainmast."

"Aye, sir. All hands aft of the mainmast."

A few minutes later, when all were gathered, and Gillian and Judith had joined us on the quarterdeck, I called in a loud voice, "Welcome aboard Atlantica to those new to us. We now number forty-seven, about two-thirds our normal complement. This is our first opportunity to work together as a crew, but we do not know who are the leaders among you."

"Mosta them is up there with you, sir," a voice called.

"Indeed, we have selected those who have proven their ability to lead, to direct and to oversee. But for a crew this size, we need more – and we need more levels. To help us identify skills and abilities, we have devised an exercise to find those among you best suited to join and assist them."

Watching heads turn to look at others, I continued, "To set the situation, I offer this – predicting the weather is vital to safety at sea, and there are signs that assist with foretelling. Remain silent with your answer to this; instead, raise your hand to indicate. Who has seen unusual weather the past day?"

About three-fourths of the crew raised their hands.

"Excellent! Constant observation and reporting all changes are essential to our safety. Never fear reporting what you observe."

I paused as many nodded. Then, I added, "The still air and the oppressive humidity. What do these portend?"

"The calm before the storm, sir," Someone called.

I pointed up, and eyes followed my arm. "And the broad, thin veil of clouds?"

"A change for the worst, sir," The same voice replied."

"Indeed." I pointed up again. "And the veil approaching the sun?"

"Soon to make a rainbow around it. Like we saw before the hurricane that wrecked us, sir."

"Exactly! We now have strong indications that an intense storm approaches. What should we do?"

"Sail away from land alee and lay hove to sea anchors, sir. It is not the sea that endangers; it is the edges of it."

"True. But damaged and impaired as we are, that is impracticable. Besides, we have no wind. What alternatives have we?"

"What we did two years ago, sir," another voice called. "Moor to the mangroves in the slot."

"Aye, that appears to be our only course. Those among you who believe you can devise how to accomplish this, step forward."

As ten men stepped forward, a loud, belligerent voice came from the port bulwarks, "First, you allow pirates to capture us. Then, you place us in the way of a hurricane."