8

─── ♔♔♔ ───

─── ♔♔♔ ───

His words are like when you reach the end of your cup of tea only to realise the tea bag exploded and there are so many bits in the bottom. Annoying and gross, that's it. Definitely makes you wanna spit it out, too.

Come out as a couple, get engaged and raise this baby as a royal.

"But we're not a couple. That's the whole point of what we're doing here. This pregnancy was accidental. We're not even—it was a one-night stand. I don't understand why we would come out as a couple when we aren't one," I mutter. My brain knows what he's talking about, though I just don't want to face it.

"I know, Peach. But people will find out, and as I said, reputations will be burned. As fifth in line to the throne, I cannot let that happen. I'm not allowed to let that happen."

I cock my head. "Hold on a minute, so you're telling me I have to marry you?"

He nods and looks at the older-looking guy. The white-haired guy nods.

"So, here's what we're proposing. You'll move to Frogmore Cottage with me in Windsor and we'll sort of allow ourselves to be seen out together a few times before announcing we're a couple, just before the right time to announce the pregnancy and engagement. When people ask, we'll say we've been together six months, and I proposed as we found out you were expecting. There'll be a little bit of raised eyebrows, but we also mention we knew each other a while before getting together."

I glance between Kai and the white-haired guy in utter confusion. This is more than an exploded tea bag in the middle of a cup, this is more than an accidental pregnancy from a one-night stand. It is purely ridiculous.

This is the shit of fiction, not real life. No one just gets a visit from a real-life prince and gets told they have to get married.

"If people are going to raise their eyebrows at this story, then what's the harm in telling the truth?" I question.

"Having a royal child out in the world and not in the royal family is not the done thing, Peach," Kai says. "My parents will not allow it. The public would crucify me more than they already have. This would also put to bed the wild rumours about my drinking and behaviour recently."

"So you're bowing down to this guy who is blackmailing you?" I demand.

"It's not quite like that. The family cannot get involved with things like blackmail. As Prince Kai's lawyer, I can't do anything until this is sorted out because it would come out in the press," the white-haired guy says.

"Surely you just shove them with the cease and desist or whatever."

He shakes his head. "If I do that, they go to the press with your news. So this is a chance for you and His Royal Highness to do this your way, and then I can act afterwards."