11

─── ♔♔♔ ───

─── ♔♔♔ ───

"I feel like a Christmas turkey," I whisper to Kai beside me as he leads me down the corridor towards the private apartments in Windsor Castle.

He stops moving, forcing both me and the guards behind us to stop. There's some sort of rule where they have to keep a distance behind us, but keep us in view.

Kai laughs. "A Christmas turkey? Why, Peach?"

"Should you be calling me that in front of your parents, by the way? But because this dress is red, it's not something I'd normally wear and, well, it looks like I'm already five months, but this bump is just bloat! I'm only eight weeks!" I show him the tiny bloat bump that this dress accentuates. It's one the palace sent for me. A burgundy knee-length pencil dress with a square neckline. None of my chest is on show, which I expected anyway, and I have no tights on. I chose my black high-heeled shoes so my short frame could at least come up to Kai's chin when I meet his parents. I paired it with my watch and silver bracelet Patrick bought me for graduation, and some silver earrings. Yet, I still feel ridiculous. The dress even has a sewn-in belt around the middle, which does absolutely nothing to help the bloat bump be hidden, but I couldn't find a way to get rid of it. I guess for now, until I'm due out in public, I have to roll with this growing figure. It's why I'm here, after all.

He puts a hand on my hair, which is down and straightened. "You look amazing. And I'll call you Peach if I want, unless we're out in public. They will love you, bloat or no bloat."

"They don't have to love me, because they chose this for us."

"I mean, fair enough, but you cannot have that attitude when we walk in there, okay?"

I roll my eyes and nod. "All right. Let's get this over with."

He takes the back of my hand and kisses it as if we're actually together. I can't deny it sets my nerves alight like November fifth and calms my nerves down.

─── ♔♔♔ ───

The red carpets stand out as I sit down on the cream and black sofa. I might not be a Christmas turkey, but I feel like a damn Christmas decoration. Kai fits in perfectly with his black suit trousers and white shirt. No jacket, and his shirt has the top two buttons undone. He's just seeing his mum and dad. Me? I'm meeting the bloody King and Queen of England – my future mother and father-in-law. And I'm bloating, uncomfortable, nauseous and want to die in this stupid castle.

The walls are white and gold, with minimal decoration apart from a few portraits of the family members over the years on one wall. There's a massive gold mirror on another wall and the vast windows that look out over the Windsor Gardens.