Chapter 27

The delightful aroma of the Kashmiri Biryani was lingering all around the place, salivating the mouth of the people inhaling the delectable savor of the heavenly dish. Izhan quickly closed the lid on the pot of biryani, after checking the softness of the rice. Garnishing the kesar phirni with finely chopped dry fruits, Daniyal has just sat down on the spare chair of the small kitchen table to slice the onion for Raita (Curd mixture). Taking out naans from the oven, Arbaz got busy stirring the gravy of Kashmiri Dum Aloo.

"Arbaz, how much more time? I am starving now." Izhan whined, turning off the flame of the pot of Biryani. Arbaz frowned at his words, putting the pot of Dum Aloo on the kitchen counter.

"Don't act like you're on a hunger strike for months." Arbaz sprinkled the finely chopped coriander on top of the gravy and took the serving bowl to the table.

"I want to behave man, but this delicious food is pushing my taste buds to salivate badly." Izhan grumpily stated, placing the jug full of water on the table.

"Who can understand your pain better than me?" Placing the tray of Biryani, a bowl of Dum Aloo, and Kesar phirni, Arbaz pulled the spare chair kept beside Izhan and sat on it. Mixing veggies, some herbs, and spices in curd, Daniyal was back on his seat.

"Yummm, so delicious." Izhan took a spoonful of Biryani and it was more than delicious. Arbaz and Daniyal also dug into their plates after reciting Bismillah and Dua before eating the meal. They trio were eating in silence, only the sound of spoons can be heard often but this silence was soon broken by a feminine voice.

"Izhan bhai mujhe hostel drop krdein." Straps of handbag was on her shoulder and she was busy in closing the buttons of her overcoat, her hijab was carelessly placed on her head. Hearing her voice, Izhan's hand halted in the middle, who was about to take a spoonful of rice. He quickly turn towards the source of voice, who was standing in the doorway of kitchen.
(Izhan Brother, drop me at hostel.)

"Gudiya, have the lunch first." Izhan said, calling her towards the table.

"Bhai, I am getting late, that grumpy man will close the hostel gate in 20 minutes."

"Shanzay, haven't I told you that you won't be staying in hostel anymore but here."

"Daniyal, I am....."

"I said, you're not going anywhere, that's it." He came towards her, and holding her hands he took her to his room and locked the door.

"Daniyal, don't behave like a grumpy old man. I said, I'm going, that's final." She said keeping her hand on the doorknob. Daniyal quickly put his palm on her, his chest touching her back, giving her goosebumps all over the body. Turning her to him, he muttered, "Sweetheart, don't test my patience. "

"I'm not, but you're Mr Dracula." She gritted her teeths, trying to move away from him but he caged her in between his arms, by putting them both on the door. She was now a sandwich between Daniyal & the Door. His blue eyes were against her brown eyes, "Nice name, Darling!" He whispered caressing her cheek with his nose, making her feel all weak.

"Mr Dracula, please lemme go!!!" She uttered, helplessly, giving him a cute pleading look.

"I can't let you go to that damn place." His tone heavy, as he took long breaths to calm himself.

"But why?" Puzzled she asked.

"You don't trust me, right?" His eyes filled with disappointment and helplessness, were turning red. Which made Shanzay scared. She thought to herself,'He is so badly pissed off, but why?'

"Mr Dracu... I mean Daniyal, why are you saying this? I trust you, I really do." She bit her tongue, giving him a nervous expression. She was choosing her words carefully to not make him angry more.