3.7

❝Weak men make everybody vulnerable to danger

JOHN MACARTHUR

3.7 : adoptions 

OR

season 5, episode 5 : cradle to grave

IT'S BEEN A MONTH SINCE NICK'S DEATH. There was a funeral, but neither Fin nor Lars attended. It would be too dangerous. Instead, Fin and Spencer drove Lars to the airport. Munich, Lars said. She has an American friend there, an exchange student, and the family's willing to take her in, too. It's far out of Esther's way, and too much work. Fin calls a few of her CIA contacts from the Academy, asks them to track the names Esther Hayward, Esther Cameron, and Tess Finley, all names Fin can think that Esther would use. They'll find out who Esther's truly after.

Fin's moved most of her things to Spencer's apartment, but she's left her car there at her apartment complex in an attempt to throw Esther off the trail. Spencer doesn't drive them to work, either; instead, he drives them to a bus station, where they take the bus to the Metro station, and then split up, taking separate trains to the station closest to the BAU, and then reuniting for a final bus trip to the office. Spencer devised this clever plan several weeks ago, just after Nick's funeral, in the hopes that Esther won't be able to follow either one of them very closely. And so far, it's worked.

Hotch is back with the team after several weeks of recovery from his injuries, but something's off. Erin Strauss, who Fin's only met briefly maybe once, has apparently been jumping down his throat every chance she gets, which means Hotch is in a worse-than-usual mood almost constantly.

But today, Fin hopes, is a better day. They've been called in early because JJ has a new case for them, but that's normal. What Fin's hoping for is that there's no extra drama going on outside the case.

This particular morning, Fin's perched on Spencer's desk, sipping her coffee and waiting for JJ to be ready to present the case, when Morgan walks in, staring at his cell phone, which is beeping non-stop. "Reid, what did I miss?" he asks, looking up at the two of them.

"Good morning to you too, Derek," Fin says, grinning.

"Oh, man, you're not gonna believe this." Spencer leans back in his chair, eyebrows raised. He's letting his hair grow out longer, and Fin's a big fan. It almost touches his shoulders now, and she makes a point to tell him every chance she gets that she finds it extremely hot. (He always blushes furiously.) "Some moron just posted a blog called 'What Would Carl Sagan Do?'"

"No, Reid, the case," Morgan mutters, looking back down at his phone. "What's the case?"

"What are you talking about?" Spencer frowns.