4.7

❝I am aware, sure, I am aware

❝I am aware, sure, I am aware. Catastrophically aware.

SYLVIA PLATH

4.7 : remarkable things

OR

season 5, episode 16 : mosley lane (ctd.)

"MR. AND MRS. HARTAWAY, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR COMING IN." Fin perches on the edge of her desk, as Mrs. Hartaway is sitting in her chair. "I understand this is difficult to bring up again, but–"

"Have you ever had children?" Mrs. Hartaway interrupts, her hands twisting the ends of her scarf anxiously.

"Uh, no, ma'am, I haven't," Fin replies, a little taken aback. "But–"

"Then you wouldn't understand," Mrs. Hartaway snaps, and her husband places a hand on her shoulder.

"Kathryn," he mutters, but she shakes his hand off.

"Our daughter has been missing eleven years," Mrs. Hartaway whispers shakily. "We were finally at peace. But then this–this–" She can't say anymore; just turns away, shaking with silent sobs.

"You're right." Fin slides off the edge of the desk, deciding spur-of-the-moment to take a new tactic with them. "I don't understand. A parent's love is something you can only truly grasp when you experience it, and I can't even imagine the feeling of losing a child. But there is a possibility that Karla is alive, and you are the people most equipped to help us find her. There is no one else in the world that can do as much as the both of you right now."

She reaches out and takes Mrs. Hartaway's hand in hers, squeezing it gently, and Mrs. Hartaway doesn't pull away. "We think the same people who took Aimee Lynch took Karla eleven years ago. What can you tell me about the day she was taken?"

Mr. Hartaway answers first. "It was the week after she turned eight. I was out of town at a business conference I couldn't get away from on her actual birthday, but I promised her we'd do something special the minute I got home. So Kathryn and I took her to a petting zoo all by herself. We left the other kids with my sister."

"She was so excited," Mrs. Hartaway breathes, her eyes distant, clearly remembering. "She kept saying she wanted every animal as a pet, every lamb, every rabbit, every chicken." She laughs softly.

"What drew your attention away from her?" asks Fin, as gently as she can. Time is precious and it's quickly running out.

"There was a portable toilet at the edge of the field. She had to go to the bathroom. I was going to walk her over there, but then–then there was a woman, screaming about how she'd lost her son. So I–I told Karla to go to the bathroom by herself while I helped that woman."