ix. of friendship and broken hearts

˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*·̩̩̥͙

DRESS
(( — DEAD POETS SOCIETY — ))

—chapter ix: of friendship and broken hearts

"can you let me in?" the voice was muffled, drenched out by the door. loraine looked up from her homework

"charlie?" she asked

"ray?" charlie repeated sarcastically

she got up and opened the door, dragging him in quickly before she closed it again. "it's a bit soon, isn't it?"

"that's not why i'm here"

"oh" loraine shrugged "sorry, i guess"

there was a pause in which none of them muttered a word.

"are you alright?" loraine stepped closer to the boy, attempting to feel the heat of his forehead with her hand "you seem nervous. are you sick?"

"what? no!" charlie pushed her hand away annoyed. "would you listen to me for once? and stop playing my mother?"

loraine narrowed her eyes, while she crossed her arms. "what did you just say to me, charles?"

charlie gulped, shaking his head. "i'm sorry, that's not— not what i meant"

"then what do you mean? why do you come in here, seemingly angry at me, when you were fine an hour ago?"

"nothing is fine" charlie breathed and loraine raised her eyebrows. "our friendship, it's not how it used to be. i've been thinking about what knox said to me this morning"

"what did he say?"

"he said that he wishes to have a relationship like we do one day"

"what's bad about that?" loraine asked confused "that sounds like a compliment"

"all of them say things like that"

"huh?"

"i mean all of our friends say we have the perfect relationship and that we're in love with each other or something, but it's not real"

"what do you mean? you're my best friend"

"to me you're more than that"

there was silence once again. loraine and charlie looked at each other and none of them dared to say something. loraine was unsure what answer he wanted to hear. when she thought of the people that were most important to her, charlie was one of the first that came to mind. and he was her best friend.. but more?

charlie spoke again first. "why do you look so surprised?" he asked and loraine had rarely seen him so serious. "i did make it obvious, didn't i?" he smiled

loraine frowned. "i thought you were joking... i thought we were joking"

the smiled vanished from charlie's face. "what?" his voice was nearly a whisper

"we're just close, aren't we?"

"that's what you truly think?"