xii. of punishment and reward

˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*·̩̩̥͙

DRESS
(( — DEAD POETS SOCIETY — ))

—chapter xii: of punishment and reward

THE STUDENTS got up on their feet quickly, when nolan, followed by the rest of the school teachers, walked into the room and onto the podium.

loraine was sitting in the middle of todd and neil. charlie had told her that it wouldn't be a wise decision to sit next to him. she wasn't sure what to think of that, but just followed his instruction.

"sit" nolan said "this weeks issue of welton honour, there appeared a profane and unauthorized article. rather than spend my valuable time ferreting out the guilty persons. and let me assure you, i will find them"—

neil and loraine exchanged a worried glance.

—"i'm asking any and all students who know anything about this article to make themselves known here and now. whoever the guilty persons are, this is your only chance to avoid expulsion from this school"

suddenly a telephone started ringing. loraine looked around confused, as did everyone else, wondering where the sound was coming from. suddenly the ringing stopped, because someone had picked up the phone. loraine's head turned in charlie's direction before he had even said anything.

"welton academy, hello?" he held the phone to his ear "yes, he is. just a moment" he stood up and held the phone in nolan's direction "mr nolan, it's for you. it's god. he says we should have girls at welton"

everyone broke into laughter simultaneously, while the whole of the dead poets society shook their heads, disappointed.

loraine kept a close eye on charlie, who send her a reassuring smile, before he sat down the phone and got out of the bench, following nolan and the rest of the teachers without another word, while the school meeting was continued by thomas.

˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*·̩̩̥͙

ONCE HER BROTHER had dismissed the meeting, loraine got up from her seat as quickly as possible, almost running up the stairs to charlie's room. to her disappointment he wasn't there yet. so she waited for him.

it didn't take long for him to arrive. the sudden and untypical silence in the hall made her aware of that fact. she opened the door and leaned against the doorframe, joining cameron.

"you kicked out?" neil asked

"no" charlie muttered

"so, what happened?"

charlie sighed "i'm to turn everybody in, apologize to the school, and all will be forgiven"

"so, what are you gonna do?" neil continued to drill. "charlie!"

loraine gently touched charlie's shoulder, sending neil a worried glance.

"damn it, neil" charlie turned his head from her to the boy "the name is nuwanda" neil smiled at him, before charlie closed the door and immediately broke down into loraine's arms.

"it's okay" she said, walking him to the bed, so he could sit down. she combed through his hair, while he was still hugging her tightly.

"this is pathetic" charlie muttered

"it isn't" loraine argued "just let everything out, there's nothing to be ashamed of"

"we're only together since yesterday and i'm already crying" loraine had to laugh at that and charlie smiled through his tears.