Untold pt4

Tw: gore. Skip to the section break if you're particularly squeamish 

'SCAR!' I ignore Grian as I pounce at Cub, dragging him to the ground. It's hard to fight his struggles, but I have to, hugging him tight.

'GRIAN! GET THE SCULK!' He obeys, just as Xisuma teleports in.

'Ok, this- calm down...'

'DON'T CALM DOWN, HELP!' The vex in me rises, but it works to get Xisuma helping. The Sculk continues to struggle, especially as Grian yanks at the tendrils around Cub's wrist. A horrible scream, somewhere in the worst area between pure animal and deeply human. I shut my eyes tight, failing to block the noise from mind, unable to watch.

'Come on, Cub. It's alright. It'll all be alright,' I repeat over and over. But I'm just talking to myself, holding onto him as he fights and swears and screams with my best friend's voice. The pain I should've seen far earlier, should've stopped instead of allowing him to live like this... if I'd tried harder to get him to explain...

'Oh- oh my goodness- this isn't...' Tango's voice reaches us. I open my eyes enough to see him through my tears. 'This isn't what I...'

'HELP US!' Grian yells. Blood covers his hands. Blood covers everything... Xisuma's got bandages, covering the scars the sculk leaves behind... I close my eyes again to stop myself puking. Cub's struggles are weakening, until he stops screaming, stops swearing.

The sculk's stopped controlling him. But it's still there. Grian and Tango are still going. I hear the quiet urge in Cub's voice to still scream, but he doesn't, stifling it, turning as much as he can to hug me back.

'You're doing so well,' I murmur. 'Just a bit more to go.'

'Don't- don't stop,' he mutters back through the pain. 'Don't...' He hides another scream. I hug him closer.

'It's alright... it'll all be alright. Do whatever you need to help the pain.' He just shakes his head. Until he grips my back tighter. I don't care that it's hurting me. It's nothing compared to what he's going through.

'It's... done.' Grian says eventually. Xisuma covers the last of his injuries, doing something with code.

'Regeneration.' He explains. Cub just lies in my lap, taking deep breaths. I run my hand through his hair.

'What... happened?' Tango finally gets a chance to ask.

'The sculk took over,' is all I can explain. 'I had to do something.'

'Etho left something in chat, what happened to him? Is he...'

'Dead,' I mumble. 'The Sculk said it killed him.'

'...what?' 

I nod, unable to stop myself from crying. Grian hugs me. Cub's fallen unconscious, or asleep. Xisuma's silent. 

'Let's get Cub back to his bed. Scar, you should join him.'

'Yeah, I'll stay with him...'

'No, I mean you should sleep too.' 

'I need to be there for Cub,' I insist. 'I need to be there for him. I'm not letting him wake up scared again and...' I return to how I found him, hurting himself, terrified. I'm not going to let that happen again. I can't.

'Xisuma's right, Scar. You need to sleep.'

'No... no I'm fine,' I insist. I know I'm not. I know the Sculk hurt me too. But I have to stay with Cub. I can't leave him again.