~12~

October 20, 2024, Floor 75 Collinia

The colosseum was packed with people wanting to see the duel between Kirito and Heathcliff. "Better hurry folks! The good seats are going fast! Who's next?" Daizen announces, selling tickets to the players wanting to watch. "My god! You're so such an idiot!" Asuna tells Kirito, while Reina runs her fingers through a pigtail repeatedly. "How could you agree to a duel?" Reina asks. "Okay, calm down! I'm sorry. It's not like he gave me any other choice." Kirito replies. "The other day, when you used your dual-wielding skill, I've never seen anything like it, but the commander has his own unique skill, too." Reina shares. "I know, I've seen it a bunch of times myself. The Divine Blade, it maximizes his offense and defensive moves. His attack is strong, but his defense is incredible." Kirito notes. 

"No one's ever seen the commander's HP bar dipped down into the yellow zone before. His invincibility is way beyond the normal game balance." Reina points out. "I know." Kirito replies. "What if you lose?" Asuna asks. "I don't really care about getting my leave of absence, I care about you joining the guild." Reina tells him. "Well, I'm not planning on losing easily." Kirito gets up and smirks at her.

°•◇°•◇°•◇°•◇°•◇°•

Everyone cheered once Kirito and Heathcliff were in the center facing each other. "I'm sorry about this, Kirito. I didn't think this would be such a big deal." Heathcliff apologizes, looking around at the crowd. "This is crazy." He says. "Maybe I can get a cut of tickets?" Kirito asks. "No, but when we're finished, you'll become an official member of the guild." Heathcliff replies not looking at the boy. "I'll consider this your first mission." He opens up his menu and sends a dual request to Kirito, which he accepts and the timer starts. Kirito equips both swords and Heathcliff equips his. They both stare at each other until the timer ends and Kirito rushes to Heathcliff and swings his swords at him which Heathcliff blocks with his shield. Heathcliff does a fake out with his shield throwing Kirito off and knocking him back with his sword. He then rushes at Kirito and slams his shield into his side, sending him skidding back. Heathcliff rushes at Kirito again and swings his sword at him but Kirito blocks it and jumps back.

Kirito activates a skill on his black sword attacking Heathcliff but the man blocks it with his shield and moves it to the side causing Kirito to stumble. "Your reaction time is very impressive." Heathcliff tells the boy once he recovers. "Yeah, and your defense is impregnable." Kirito says and the crowd cheers. Kirito slashes at Heathcliff with immense speed and the older man blocks it with his shield. Heathcliff lands a hit on Kirito and cuts his cheek but he doesn't stop and continues slashing at Heathcliff. Meanwhile, Asuna and Reina look from the gate worried. "Be careful." Reina whispers. "He'll be fine, I think." Asuna tries to reassure her. Kirito lands a hit on Heathcliff cutting his cheek and then activates a skill on both swords and continues attacking the shield until it gets knocked out of the way. Kirito uses this to his advantage and goes to land the final hit but somehow Heathcliff's shield moves in front of it to block it and Kirito stumbles giving Heathcliff the chance to land the final hit.

Kirito's health drops to yellow crowning Heathcliff as the winner. 'What happened just now?' Reina wonders, furrowing her eyebrows. The crowd cheers and Kirito stares at the ground dumbfounded, then he looks up at Heathcliff who was glaring down at him before walking away.

°•◇°•◇°•◇°•◇°•◇°•

Floor 50: Algade

Reina and Kirito were in Kirito's room in Agil's shop. "Uh, don't you guys have any uniforms that are less flashy?" Kirito asks, looking down at the white and red uniform he wore. "That's one of our less flashy ones." Reina replies. "But it looks good on you." She claps her hands and gives him a closed-eyed smile. Kirito flops onto his bed and puts a hand over his eyes. "I'm in a guild." He simply says. "It's my fault, huh?" Reina asks, feeling bad. "No, this is a good opportunity. As a solo player, I got as far as I could go." Kirito replies. "That makes me feel a little better." Reina mumbles. "Hey, Kirito?" She calls looking at him. "Why do you avoid joining guilds and people?" She asks and Kirito stares at her. "If you don't mind me asking. It's not because you're a beta tester I know that for a fact, so why? You do care about people, right?" She looks intrigued and Kirito looks away.

"It was a long time ago, about a year or so. Up till now, that was the only guild I was in. It was small including me there were six of us in it. They called themselves the Moonlit Black Cats. As players they were good, but their levels were way lower than mine and I thought if I told them what my level was they wouldn't have wanted me around. So I decided to keep my mouth shut about it and I joined up with them. I'd watch them messing around, and having fun and I guess I wanted to be part of that too. Then one day..." Kirito told her about the fates of those players and her eyes widened. "I'm the reason the whole guild was wiped out. If I hadn't hidden the fact I was a beater, I could have convinced them how dangerous that trap really was. I killed them." Kirito clasps his hands. "Sachi. All of them." He says. Reina wordlessly gets up from her seat and walks over to him. She grabs his face and sits behind him having him face her. "I'm not gonna die, okay? I can't die because I have to protect you." She tells him and pulls him closer so that his head is resting on her shoulder. Kirito raises his hand but puts it back down.

°•◇°•◇°•◇°•◇°•◇°•

October 23, 2024, Floor 55: Grandzam

Reina and Kirito were in the girl's office when Godfree approached them telling them that Kirito needed to train. "I gotta train?" Kirito asks. "That's right. You, me and one other guy are gonna form a party. Then we're all gonna go clear the dungeon on this floor." Godfree replies. "Hold on a second, Godfree. Kirito and I are already in a--" "I can't do anything about it, ma'am. Besides, as Asuna's right-hand-woman you know we can't ignore the rules. If he's gonna be joining us, then it's my job as commander of the front lines to take the kid out and evaluate his skills." Godfree cuts Reina off. "But that's ridiculous! He doesn't need evaluation, he's stronger than you!" Reina points out and Kirito sighs. "Kid in 30 minutes I wanna see you at the western gate. Hoorah!" Godfree cheers and leaves the room making Reina sigh. "It was our only chance to be alone." She sulks. Kirito walks over to her and puts a hand on her head.

"I'll be back soon. Think you can wait for me?" He asks her. "Uh-huh." Reina nods her head and takes his hand. "Be careful." She tells him. Kirito nods and leaves the room. As soon as he leaves Asuna enters. "Our only chance to be alone." She teases Reina, who turns red. "Oh, hush." She mumbles looking away. "Don't stress it. Kirito's going to be okay." Asuna reassures her. "Do you know who the other person is?" Reina asks her. "I saw Klahadore heading to the gate before Kirito left so I'm guessing it's him." Asuna replies, turning on the kettle to make tea. Reina groans loudly and sinks into her seat. "Would you like some tea?" Asuna asks. "Yes please." Reina mumbles running a hand over her face. She then opens up a map and a blinking dot appears. 'Please be safe.'

'