(24) The Mask We Wear

Lumi woke up early the next day to prepare for the day ahead when suddenly, her boyfriend, Damian, burst into the room.

"Lumi! Are you okay?" he exclaimed, concern etched on his face as he rushed to her side and gently picked up her hand to examine it.

He cupped her face and scanned it for any signs of injury before giving her a quick peck on the lips. She smiled against his lips, appreciating his concern even in her hurry.

He pulled back. "I warned you, Lumi! Give them an inch, and they bite!" Damian exclaimed, frustration evident in his voice.

Moment. Ruined.

"If you've come here to fight, then it's best you leave," she asserted, her tone firm.

"But I was right, wasn't I? You should've listened to me," he insisted, frustration evident in his voice.

"I'm leaving!" she declared, pushing past him, her patience worn thin.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

When she reached the apartment, a peacekeeper stood at the entrance, nodding curtly as Lumi approached.

Despite the warning, she insisted on entering, assuring him that if anything happened, she would scream for help.

She inquired about his well-being, and they informed her that he hadn't slept a wink.

With cautious steps, she entered the apartment, her gaze fixed on her tribute who stood with his back turned towards her.

"I'm here to talk, not to punish you or anything."

She heard him laugh under his breath. "You already sent your little peacekeepers to do it for you," he said, turning around to reveal his beaten and bruised face.

All she could manage was a gasp.

"I swear I didn't send anyone to do that," she protested.

"Sure you didn't," he replied sarcastically.

"I didn't!"

"Look, I came here to help you, so please just sit down...please," she pleaded, her desperation evident.

He looked at her defiantly for a moment but eventually complied, taking a seat despite his reservations.

She left for the kitchen, making noise while searching for something.

"Aha! There it is."

She came back with a first aid kit and sat next to him, still keeping a safe distance...just in case.

Lumi started rummaging inside the bag, looking for something. "I can't believe they didn't treat you."

She took out a bottle of some type of solution, along with a pair of tweezers and a cotton ball.

She dipped the cotton ball into the solution, holding it with the tweezers. Turning to him, she didn't say a thing, but her face spoke volumes.

Please

He gazed at her for a few seconds, then turned to expose the cut on his forehead. Lumi interpreted it as a sign and pressed the cotton ball against the wound with a slow and gentle touch.

"You know, I'm actually really sorry they hurt you like this. I'm mad at you, but I'd never send anyone to hurt you back."

After cleaning the wound, she carefully applied a bandage. When she noticed him staring at her finger, she smiled.