𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟓.

𝐓𝐰𝐨 𝐘𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐋𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫

𝐓𝐰𝐨 𝐘𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐋𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫

𝐀𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫'𝐬 𝐏𝐨𝐯
Months turned into one year, and one year turned into two, quickly ticking off two years since Jorja and Soléigh last shared moments with a conscious Ebony. In that span, Soléigh blossomed into an amazing eight-year-old, and Jorja flourished, taking the ownership of the daycare that once employed her.

Though taking ownership was immensely challenging for Jorja, she mustered her strength and strived.Even as life's relentless pace shortened their hospital visits, they consistently carved space in their hearts and schedules to be with Ebony.

The lack of Ebony's affirmations of love, her congratulations on her accomplishments and support through rough patches, Jorja has felt the weight of Ebony's silence through missed celebrations and milestones, carrying the heaviness of her absence for two years now.

Struggling with the silent echoes of Ebony's absence, Jorja faced nights and mornings where the cold spot beside her was a stark reminder of what was missing. It was exceedingly difficult for Soléigh to not have the opportunity to truly get to know the woman who had entered her life for such a brief period.

When Ebony's coma reached the exact one-year mark, the hospital staff began discussing the possibility of discontinuing life support. They even had to transfer her to a different floor. Jorja, determined to maintain Ebony's care, promptly completed the necessary paperwork to ensure that life-sustaining measures would continue.

This legal document is often referred to as an Advance Directive or a similar form depending on the jurisdiction, which includes specific instructions about medical treatment preferences.

No one anticipated that she would remain in a coma for such an extended period. Witnessing Jorja confront the reality of her unconscious state for a mere week was distressing; imagine the impact of enduring that sight for two full years. But no matter how long she were there, Jorja wouldn't give up on her.

Jorja found the idea of moving on from Ebony or pursuing a relationship with another woman deeply unsettling. In her mind, Ebony was the only woman she could envision, even though there were other women physically present around her. Mentally, Ebony was the sole person she could see. If Ebony could see Jorja's thoughts, she'd see a picture of herself.

Jorja clings to the hope that Ebony wouldn't move on from her instead. She vividly recalled their return from her 20th birthday celebration, where, after blowing out her candles she wished forever them to be together forever and ever, even far beyond this life.

She meant exactly that.

Ever since the revelation of her twin sister, Jorja's perspective shifted dramatically. Their dialogues strictly revolved around Solèigh and her role as her teacher. Jorja appreciated that Flora respected her boundaries, avoiding the constant conversation on their newfound sisterhood.