27~ The First Step

🪞MIRA🪞

Our short vacation in the outskirts of Chittorgarh felt like it slipped away too quickly and I can't even deny how much I have cherished every moment of it

Each day had started with us having a wild make-out session in the shower, followed by hours of cuddling in bed and at times, we had also found ourselves immersed in activities like baking cakes or watching rom-coms ( not to mention how Siddharth got so mad at me when I ruined one of his "holiest" plans but whatever, who even takes his sulking seriously? At least not me. )

But as we were returning home, there's a constant threat gnawing at me. I took a deep exhale, trying to pass the air to my lungs as I thought of his name – Vikram Mehra. The mere mention of his name sends shivers down my spine, bringing back a flood of fears, doubts, and haunting memories.

"Will everything be okay, Sid?" My voice was hardly a whisper as I asked him the same question around 1000th time this morning.

Though I had said that I wanted revenge, I could feel myself drowning into an ocean of panic and the very chance of confronting him feels like peering into the bottomless pit of my darkest fear.

How could I, a mere woman weighed down by the trauma of his deeds, summon the courage to stand against him? How could I hope to make him pay for the lives he's shattered, for the darkness he had cast upon my world?

These questions keep circling around in my head, making me feel even more broken. How would I expose the real him – the one who hides behind power and reputation? And do I even have the strength to face my own demons, let alone someone else?

And then there's the nagging self-doubt, a whispering voice that has planted seeds of fear inside of me. What would happen if I fail? What if my efforts to seek revenge merely serve to tear me apart, leaving me broken?

"Even if there won't be anything good waiting for us, we will endure it together." Siddharth spoke up, shunning all my negative thoughts. "Isn't that what you said to me a few nights ago, Mira?"

Siddharth clasped my hand within his own, pressing kisses upon each knuckle. I felt a flutter in my chest, a feeling I wasn't able to put into words. How could a soft pad of his fingers eased the lump that had formed in my throat? And even with the knots in my throat and the doubt that feels like it would bury me whole, there was a gleam of belief that followed. I leaned my head against Siddharth's shoulder and closed my eyes while he drove us back home.

I tried to focus on the feeling of his warmth beside me, but the uncertainty of the future kept creeping back into my thoughts. I can feel the heaviness of the world pressing down on me, suffocating me with its doubts and questions. I know I'm overthinking, but I can't help it. These fears, both known and unknown, are clawing at the walls of my mind.

What if I do take revenge against Vikram Mehra but only to face the wrath of society? What if they turn their backs on me, questioning my character and tarnishing my reputation with their bitter doubts?