30~Bound by Heart

🪞MIRA🪞

My eyes widened in shock and my heart began to race in my chest

My eyes widened in shock and my heart began to race in my chest. I swallowed hard but it felt like a mountain was getting poured down my throat. I desperately wished it was all just a dream, or perhaps even a nightmare that would vanish in the morning.

"Is anyone going to explain to me what the hell is going on?" Arhaan's voice burst through the silence, irritation dripping from every word.

Has Arhaan bhai heard everything? It couldn't be possible. He wasn't even present when I recounted the details to Siddharth about how I convinced Vikram Mehra to sign the partnership papers. Panic clawed at my insides as I glanced at Siddharth, his expression was exactly opposite to mine. He remained calm, composed, almost as if nothing was wrong.

I swallowed again to let out a relaxed breath, but my hands trembled uncontrollably, sweat slicking my palms and forehead as I fought to find the words to explain.

"Arhaan bhai," I forced out, my voice tight, "I didn't see you—"

But before I could finish, he cut me off, his voice sharp with confusion, his brows knitting together in a frown. "What were you talking about Vikram Mehra, and why did you say he's fallen into our trap, Mira Bhabhi?" Arhaan firmly asked.

My breath seized in my throat, and for a moment, it seemed as if the ground had been pulled from beneath my feet and then throwing me into a pit of terror.

How could I tell him the truth? How could I reveal the darkest chapter of my past, knowing it would shatter the image he held of me?

The memory of that day, of the terror and helplessness, promised to take in me again. I could feel the bile rising in my throat, the sting of tears burning behind my eyes.

Arhaan may have been Siddharth's best friend, but to me, he was always like a little brother, someone who had always stood by my side. But what would happen once he knew the truth?

How could I possibly explain my past to him? To everyone? I knew it was impossible to keep it hidden forever. With Vikram Mehra's downfall, my own darkest truth would inevitably come to light. The truth about the sexual assault, about how I had dragged his reputation through the mud, about how I had almost been raped.

Though my voice seemed to die, I gathered every bit of courage I had left and tried to speak, but my words faltered, trapped behind a throat constricted with fear. Arhaan's sharp eyes dug into me which were waiting for answers.

"Wait," Arhaan abruptly spoke up. "Did Siddharth pressure you into this?" His gaze then shifted to Siddharth, which was now filled with accusation. "You... bastard," he growled, his fists clenched in anger as he took a step towards my husband.

"No, he didn't," I said quickly, moving between them to keep Arhaan from acting rashly. My heart was beating with dread.

"Don't lie, Mira bhabhi," he snapped, his voice full of malice. "You know what kind of monster Siddharth can be in the corporate world. Using you as a pawn to take down Vikram Mehra–"