Chapter 4 - Veil of Grief

Hours later, the two moons adorned the dark blue band of the sky in all their splendor

Hours later, the two moons adorned the dark blue band of the sky in all their splendor. The stars twinkled in the blackness, the rainbow haze in all its colors, and the twin moons seemed to pour their light comfortingly over the world.

Together, the two companions had salvaged the remains of the murdered animals and all that was left of their home from the rubble. Now, the light of the skylights bathed the grove in a dazzling display of purple, bright green, and blue as Cian moved one of the last heavy stones into place.

The two guards had carefully piled up the remains of the hut stone by stone to form a round burial mound and decorated it with moss and ivy. Only a narrow passageway led to the hollowed-out center where Hailyn's petrified body stood so that the moons and sun could look down on her on their way across the firmament.

Grief throbbed like a fresh, gaping wound in the hearts of the two nature spirits. An oppressive silence hung over the small clearing, and though they were together, each of them was alone with their heavy thoughts.

Hailyn had brought a silver lining to their lives - no, more than that. Her mistress had torn down the boundaries of her old being and given her a new freedom: a life.

One that no longer had any meaning.

Lir could feel Hailyn's magical power slowly but surely leaving her body, and the shapeshifter felt like a leaking ship that would inevitably sink. A soft sigh left her lips and joined the melancholy silence.

Quietly, as was natural to the hunter, Cian finally joined the raveness.

"Here." The fox handed her a small, half-burnt candle. The fragrant scent of beeswax caught Lir's nose and reminded her of how Hailyn had to teach the initially clumsy nature spirits how to cope with the humanoid bodies and use the gifts of nature from then on.

Tears immediately welled up in the raven lady's golden eyes again, and she quickly blinked them away. "Thank you," she croaked softly. Together with Cian, they lit a sea of candlelight one after the other. The golden glow lifted the hill out of the darkness of the night and shone like a reflection of the tiny skylights in her canopy bed.