Chapter 8 - Luring the Beast

Suddenly, the delicate body crashed to the ground just as a bright gleam flashed directly in her direction

Suddenly, the delicate body crashed to the ground just as a bright gleam flashed directly in her direction. The eyes of the monster, whose gaze would almost have hit her - had Cian not crashed against her with all his weight and pulled her to the ground.

Glass splintered under her body and squeezed the air out of her lungs. At the same time, it seemed to sever the sticky threads that held her mind and body in a tight grip. But sharp edges pierced through the white feathers, and as Lir braced herself with her hands, her own weight sliced through her soft flesh. Lir cried out and withdrew her hands from the sharpened blades.

Above them, the basilisk roared with rage at having missed its prey, but Cian, her beloved companion, was not intimidated. He was on his feet again in a flash, had grabbed his spear, and thrust it powerfully forward. A touch too slowly. The basilisk dodged his thrust, and the obsidian tip drilled into the void.

Meanwhile, Lir struggled to his feet and felt a sharp pain in his palms and hips. Tiny splinters protruded from the copper skin, and silvery red blood was already beginning to flow from the wounds. The Raven acted instinctively.

She plucked a splinter or two from the wounds, and as the beast's head jerked to the side to avoid Cian's blow, Lir reached out and slammed her bloody palms against the basilisk's skull with all her might.

The pain exploded in her hands, and she couldn't suppress an agonized scream. Her fingers collided with a smooth, ice-cold surface. Although her hands only touched the creature for a fraction of a second, her stomach tightened, and Lir felt the disgust fill her body like a wave. The basilisk's skin was devoid of any warmth of life, and its texture had nothing natural about it. It was cold, dead, and empty—the exact opposite of them, created from the essence of nature.

Lir's quick reaction paid off. Silver-red blood now flecked part of the basilisk's head, two smeared red handprints marked its cheek, and sticky splashes made the skull visible. This time, however, she did not allow herself to be caught up in its ghostly presence but tugged on Cian's arm herself to make him walk.

The nature spirits sprinted through the glassy forest, the angry roar of the beast behind them and nothing but an endless desert of glass in front of them. The clinking and cracking of the basilisk grew louder behind them, drowning out the crunching sound of their footsteps.