Chapter 8: The Heart of Midgar

Sector 6 Slums, Midday

When Jaune first opened his eyes, he immediately shut them as he felt his eyes hurt from the bright light. The light of the sun was hurting his head as he struggled to get to his feet from the position on the ground he found himself, feeling both dizzy and confused as he finally stood on his feet.

"Ugh, what happened?" Jaune groaned as he tried to remember the last few moments before he fell unconscious. He focused some aura on his head to help erase the dizziness he felt as his mind soon started to clear and remember what happened.

"Right, I was about to attack Corneo's mansion when I saw some helicopters fly overhead to Sector 7. Having a bad feeling I followed after them until I was stopped by some black specters, whispers I think they were called, that then knocked me unconscious." Jaune summarized what he could remember before he lost consciousness. Though now he had more questions than he liked. Like what were those whisper beings that he encountered and why did they stop him from trying to follow the helicopters?

"Focus Jaune, right now you have more important things like finding-" Jaune started but felt the words die in his throat as he saw the Sector 7 plate, or where it should have been. Up above him, the steel sky had a section of it that was missing, having crashed down to the slums below and destroyed everything underneath it.

Jaune just stared at the destruction, wondering how it was possible he slept through THAT, before dread started coming in as he soon rushed over to the gate in hopes of finding Cloud and Aerith along with finding out what the fuck happened.

After asking around some of the local people and refugees from the Sector 7 slums, Jaune gained some information about the current situation. From what he learned, it was the terrorist group, Avalanche, that caused the Sector 7 plate collapse with help from an enemy nation called Wutai. While this is the story that is being passed around, Jaune had a gut feeling that it was bullshit as he continued to ask if anybody had seen Cloud and Aerith. As he continued to search around, he spotted two whispers floating at the entrance of one of the paths to the other slums.

"Hey!" Jaune called out as they soon started to fly away from him. Jaune immediately followed them, pissed about what they did last night along with getting an answer to why they did it. As Jaune chased them down, he noticed that nobody else was seeing the figures as they rushed by, like they were completely invisible to them. He continued to rush after the whispers, expertly dodging anyone that got in his way, as he made his way into the Sector 5 Slums and then down a path before they turned into the place where he first landed in this world. As he rushed into the area, he just saw some thugs but none of the whispers he was chasing.

"Who the hell are you, are you with avalanche?" One of the thugs questioned Jaune, though he just ignored him as he kept looking around the area for the whispers but couldn't find them. Jaune just gritted his teeth in anger as he then turned his attention to the thugs, not seeing the whispers appearing at the gate.

"And what's it to you?" Jaune said the thugs, taking a closer look at them, and noticed they looked like some of the thugs that worked for Corneo. 'Just my fucking luck, I've been unsuccessful in learning anything about Cloud and Aerith and now I have to deal with these goons. They probably don't know anything either.'

"Heh, this is our lucky day. The gun-armed man will surely come to us once he hears that we killed one of his men. Hey, let 'em loose." Said one of the other thugs as a small creature soon approached the group. The creature had green skin, a round head with a small snout, yellow eyes, and a fishtail. It wore a dark brown cloak with a hood and in its hands was an old-fashioned lantern and a small butcher knife.