chapter 7

It has been a week into me and August's new found relationship.

He broke it off with Alissa and Brock seemed happy at the idea of us together. The only person who's been a thorn in my side is Carol.

She reeks jealousy every time she sees us together. I thought at first maybe they were still in contact and he was leading her on but he showed me he blocked her on everything. But since that is Brock's girlfriend we had to be around her.

As Halloween is next weekend everyone is talking about this party that is happening at August's house.

He has been stressed with the planning but eager to have us wear matching costumes.

We're at the cafeteria sitting with Carol, Brock and some other jocks. Since we started dating officially I have been smoking less which has been beneficial to my lungs.

"So are we thinking a group costume or are we coupling off?" Brock says.

August looks at me as he's playing with my hands waiting for me to answer.

I look to him and smile, but before I can say anything Carol pipes in.

"I think a group costume would be a great idea, so cute don't you think babe?"

"Yeah totally, maybe Scooby Doo?" Brock suggests.

"What about the show 'My Babysitters A Vampire', I loved that show as a kid" I say.

"So vampires? I'm in" August says.

The rest of the group agrees and we move onto a different topic.

It's around 3 o'clock in the afternoon and I am at the record store working the cashier.

Bridgette did the morning shift because she's in college and mentioned something about play auditions coming up.

So we have a help wanted sign posted on the window and I am supposed to get the information of the people who want to apply.

As I am waiting I hear the bell ring over 'Dirty Little Secret' by All American Rejects.

I look up to see Landon come in as he sat his skateboard by the door. He is dressed in an oversized black sweatshirt with mom jeans paired with black and white vans.

"Are you stalking me because it is understandable but I am getting a bit freaked out" he says smiling making his way up to me.

"Yeah I am totally obsessed. Although it seems I am always here first and you appear where I am so who's really stalking who?" I say sarcastically leaning on the counter.

"What are you here for anyways?" I ask confused if he were here to shop or torture me.

"I saw the help wanted and well, I'm broke and want money so an application please" he says as he too leans over the counter.

I look at him for a moment and judging our distance. We were closer than we needed to be but nobody moved away.

I cleared my throat and got the application to hand it to him and he grazes my fingers while retrieving it.

"Can I fill it out here and just give it to you now?" he asks.

I nod my head and he fills it out right there with me at the counter.

We talk and laugh about anything and everything. He is flirting a little too much for my taste but he doesn't cross the line of inappropriate.

As he is continuing to fill out the rest of his form, I am on my phone. He takes notice of the game I am playing and takes my phone from me.

"I was a pro at this game as a kid. I was so obsessed with Subway Surfers to the point I begged my mom for money to buy all the newest characters" he says.

As we are leaned in close watching him play the game and laughing every time he fails I hear the bell ring signaling someone walked in.

"Hey sweet heart, who's this?" August says looking at Landon with distaste.

Landon stands up to shake Augusts hand and says, "Landon. I am bothering your girlfriend with the game of Subway Surfers and a job application."

"To work here? With her? You two together?" August questions looking between the two of us.

"Yeah, money doesn't make itself. But if  you need some space to talk I'll finish my application over there" Landon says as he moves to a desk farther away.

"Hi, what's up?" I question.

He moves to kiss me over the counter, it was intense but also felt territorial.

"I just wanted to see if you were hungry? The crew is at a pizza place and I thought you would want to go together" he says.

"Sure I have a few minutes before my lunch break but I'll meet you out in a bit" I say expecting him to go to his truck.

But he stays and looks back at Landon who is still finishing his application.

"I'll wait for you, it's cool in here anyways, been looking to update my vinyl collection" he says as he moves to kiss me one more time before he goes to look around.

Landon gives me his application and says his goodbyes to me and August.

We are at the pizza place with all of his friends eating and talking about his party.

I get distracted because I do care about August and Brock but sometimes their friend group gets a little boring. Which leads me to think to get new friends.
Which led me to think of Landon.

Landon: So are you and your boyfriend's crew eating awesome pizza, having awesome conversation while soaking up each other's awesomeness?

Right on cue, I had forgot we exchanged numbers while we were talking earlier.

Me: did you just quote mean girls?

Landon: Not exactly. I replaced shooters with pizza.

Me: love the creativity.

Landon: Do you think i'll get the job? I really need it.

Me: Totally, believe it or not, not many people are running up there for a job.

Landon: Gr8. Well hit me up later.

Me: no :) ... fine.

When I look up I see August already looking at me and at my phone.

"Who were you texting?" he asks.

"Landon, he wanted to see how we were and about the job" I say.

August rolls his eyes but puts his arm around me, pulls me in and kisses my head.

"Want to spend the night before the party? Or just that whole weekend?" he asks.

"I would love too" I say as I smile up at him.

He looks at me so intensely like he wants to say something but brings me in closer before going back into conversation.