A double life

The soft glow of the marquee lights bathed Peggy's face in a warm golden hue as she and Ralph approached the theater. The laughter and chatter of couples and families enjoying their evening outings filled the air, mingling with the buttery scent of popcorn that drifted from the open doors. Ralph's hand found hers, a comforting weight that tethered her to the present moment, yet Peggy's heart fluttered like a caged bird, her thoughts restless with the unspoken letter to George burning a hole in her conscience.

"Rusty" had been light-hearted, an easy escape, but tonight's film promised a deeper plunge into the complexities of the human psyche. "A Double Life" – the title alone echoed the discord within her. She glanced up at Ralph, his profile strong and serene in the dimming light, unaware of the turmoil that danced behind her blue eyes.

"Excited?" he asked, squeezing her hand gently.

"Very," Peggy lied, offering him a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes. Her confession to Shirley still reverberated in her mind, and each step toward the theater felt like a step further away from resolution.

Just then, a familiar voice sliced through her inner conflict. "Peggy! Over here!"

She turned to see Erma, vibrant in a floral sundress, waving enthusiastically from the ticket line, her family clustered around her. Peggy's face brightened with genuine affection as she extricated her hand from Ralph's to give Erma a quick embrace.

"Erma, it's so good to see you!" Peggy exclaimed, the familiarity of an old friend providing a momentary respite. "How's the summer treating you?"

"Better now that we're all together for a night out," Erma replied, gesturing to her kin who nodded in agreement. "You remember my husband, Carl, and the twins."

"Of course," Peggy said, sharing pleasantries and small talk, taking notice of how the twins had grown since last summer. They exchanged updates on family and mutual acquaintances, the kind of catch-up that stitches the fabric of a community tighter.

"Are you seeing 'A Double Life' too?" Erma inquired, her eyes glancing between Peggy and Ralph.

"We are," Peggy confirmed.

"Supposed to be a real thinker," Carl chimed in, a twinkle of interest in his eye. "I hope it lives up to the buzz."

"Me too," Peggy murmured, feeling Ralph's hand reclaim hers, grounding her yet again.

"Enjoy the show, and let's not wait until next summer to do this again," Erma said, herding her family toward the usher as they bid their farewells.

"Definitely," Peggy smiled, watching them disappear into the theater before turning back to Ralph. As they stepped into the cool darkness of the cinema, Peggy hoped the silver screen would offer her an escape, if only for a couple of hours, from the duplicity of her own double life.

The projector's glow had dimmed, and the credits rolled up the screen as Ralph stood and offered his hand to Peggy. She took it, her heart still racing from the emotional whirlwind of "A Double Life." They stepped out into the night, where stars twinkled like a promise above them.

"Shall we?" Ralph asked, tilting his head toward the drive-in on the outskirts of town.

"Let's," Peggy agreed, grateful for the distraction.

They drove in comfortable silence, the soft hum of the engine beneath them. Ralph found a secluded spot at the back, away from the chatter of families.

"Perfect," Peggy whispered, leaning back against the seat.

"Only the best for you," he said, a playful smile tugging at the corners of his mouth.