Chapter 54 - Cover blown risk

let me know what you think :)

CHAPTER 54 - COVER BLOWN RISK

ERIC/JOHN'S POV

"So cheers, partner. Another job well done." Heather praised, raising her glass of champagne in the air. We were sitting on the balcony of the hotel room we booked last minute.

I really didn't want to, but she insisted, saying we completed our task much in advance, so we deserved a break. I wasn't really in the mood for anything, after that encounter in the elevator ... in fact, I let my partner handle our target, careful only not to let her enjoy herself too much. She's pretty dangerous when she's in the mood for blood, you know.

"We shouldn't be here." I grumbled, taking my legs off the table. It was a cool night. Parisian summer is really refreshing, I'll admit, though I've been in Paris other times.

When Heather convinced the guy at the reception to give us a room, I was too distracted by the idea of my Natalie popping out of nowhere to keep my partner from shamelessly flirting with the guy. I tried to convince her to change hotel at least, but she said in the early morning there'd be a nice show and she didn't want to miss it. I chastised her, for I knew that with nice show she meant when they found the corpse ... she'd left it somewhere evident. It was our task, yeah, but ... ugh, the more I think about it, the more my own life disgusts me.

Maybe because I've seen a certain someone again. Maybe because I know that someone couldn't even look me in the eyes if she knew how many horrible things I've done. Maybe because I just wanna leave everything and search through this damn hotel, only to find her and crawl to her feet, begging for forgiveness, begging for her love.

But no, I can't. I can't because I'm stuck with this damn job. I can't because she's moved on and reappearing in her life would only fuck it up ... again. I should have stayed away from her since the beginning. Hadn't I entered her life, light would still brighten those hazel eyes. Had I kept my distances, she wouldn't have been through such pain.

I know how much she suffered. I keep track of her phone and everything, remember? That means I practically read every e-mail she receives, every chat she opens on Facebook. My only limit is listening to her phone calls. That, I don't. It's a matter of privacy, right? I know who calls her and who she calls, but I don't know what they say to each other.

I know who befriends her on Facebook, though. I know who they are and why they contact her. I even know she's going to work for the soon-to-be-wife of one of the richest men in America. This Lukas Grant whose background I checked, just in case. I know the background of everybody that's close to her, especially her boyfriend.

One might say, and Heather does, that I'm a stalker, but in truth, I just protect my princess from afar. That's all. It's a miracle I didn't plant a tracking device on her. The thing is, when she left town, the notorious shit hit the fan, and since later on I came to know that not at all recommendable people had dared inquire on me with my father and Kyle, I supposed they'd soon get to Natalie too.

After all, that was his last promise: even if he wasn't there anymore, he'd see to it from Hell that I'd suffer more. In a way, he succeeded. This isn't life. I just go on. Aimlessly. Just because I have nothing else to do or hope for.

People like me, like Heather, we go on with the certainty that at some point we'll meet that enemy that's smarter and stronger or even just luckier than us, we go on with the certainty that we'll die without anybody knowing who we are and where we once belonged. I wake up in the morning knowing that I'll die in a place that doesn't know my name, probably shot by someone I was chasing or simply one of my enemies reaching me.