Chapter 27: The Death Trap

Unknown POV

I slam my foot against the door and it snaps clean off its hinges, flames have engulfed the room and I stumble back as the heat blows into me. I shout in frustration and run back down the stairs, charging through the door and sprinting up the street.

My lungs burn and my legs ache but I continue to the compound, soon the huge metal fences come into sight and I slow to a brisk walk. Guards walk up to me and I nod to them dismissively, they step back and the gates are opened for me.

"The Prime Minister is proud of you, you got him the girl and now she is yours to keep," a young secretary with blonde hair and glasses informs me and I smile back at her politely.

"Oh, I intend to keep her for a long long time," I state and then walk off down the corridor with an echoing chuckle.

The government employed me at the start of the apocalypse, as soon as they realised they needed Madeline, and I've been working for them ever since. But they don't know Madeline like I do, I know she won't just go along with their plans.

And so I come to a stop in a large clearing where four corridors adjoin, when she runs, she'll have to run past me.

And then she's mine.

This is my death trap.