Chapter 28: The Standoff

The Prime Minister walks into the lab and I stare up at him, meeting his eyes with a cold stare and setting my jaw. He tuts at me loudly and pulls some picture out of his blazer, unfolding it tantalisingly slowly. 

"Now now Madeline, you wouldn't want to inflict any more pain onto your family, seeing as everyone else you know is dead," he laughs and chucks the photos onto the table.

My eyes flicker down to the photos and I cover my mouth as I feel bile rise in my throat, it's Lara and Nicholas. Their bodies are filled with bullets and their faces are scorched by an unknown fire.

I know killed them. It's all my fault. If I hadn't created this virus they wouldn't be dead. I killed two innocent human beings and now, I know, I can't kill all those innocent zombies.

The Prime Minister walks around the bench and I look up to meet eyes with the group, warning them noiselessly. He stops right beside me and I stiffen at his close proximity, I can hear his heavy breath and I lean away slightly. He tucks a strand of hair behind my ear and I step away repulsed, anger reddens his face and he slaps his hand across my cheek. Pain shoots across the skin but I stay looking forward, showing no signs of pain. He calms down visibly and takes a deep breath.

 "Madeline! That's no way to treat someone who has your friends and family's lives at their control, is it?" he tuts and I shake my head robotically to his words. A lump rises in my throat and I cough gently, trying to clear it. "What's the matter, love? Cat got your tongue?" he taunts and I cough louder, my voice coming out crackled and fractured.

"No sir," I say blankly and he nods his head in approval of my words, patting me gently on the shoulder. I shiver but, this time, refrain from showing any disgust. I see Josh's grip on Ashia tighten and he slowly adjusts his body so he's facing the direction of the door, the others do the same discreetly and my breath quickens.

"Now then, where's this virus? Hmm?" he states cheerily and my heartbeat explodes into a frantic drumming, my throat goes dry but I still manage to croak out.

"NOW!" my voice echoes around the lab and we all sprint towards the door, gunfire echoes around the room and we run in zigzags as we sprint down the hall. A bullet scrapes my arm and I grunt in pain as heat rushes across the graze, I must keep running, there's no stopping now.

The rumble of bullets, however, skids to a halt as the Prime Minister's voice booms through the corridor.

"HOLD YOUR FIRE! HOLD YOUR FIRE! THEY HAVE THE VIRUS, DON'T SHOOT!" he screams.

Our feet echo off the squeaky floor and I hear the beat of footsteps close behind us, I pant heavily and push myself faster. I take sharp turns until the security cameras thin out, the government fall behind and I skid to a stop. 

"In here," I whisper and run into an abandons lab, the room is unlit and the only light is from the hallway outside.

I crouch down with the others behind the table and, no sooner have we ducked out of sight, I hear the telltale drum of feet as the men charge past. I let out a long sigh of shaky relief and slowly get up. I grab a bandage from an open draw and wrap the piece of fabric around my arm, tying it into place before turning back to the group.

"We need to move, now," I say hurriedly, "before the compound is completely locked down." They all follow me out of the lab and we sneak silently down the hallway, turning at crossroads regularly in an attempt to avoid him.

Ashia whimpers in Josh's arms and he whispers to her gently, her cries die down and I sigh in relief. I hold the virus in my left hand and keep it pressed tightly against my chest. If they shoot to kill the virus is going down with me.

I sprint around the corner but skid to a stop in horror. My heart sinking sickeningly and my stomach twisting into knots. I can't believe it, he's here.

His smile is cruel and taunting, bordering on insanity and the group pulls together protectively. I see them look between me and him in confusion and I feel my face pale. They have to know everything, they have to know why he's here.

I open my lips slightly to speak but loud growls echo through the building, I lower my eyes in disbelief and my pulse picks up pace rapidly. He smirks at me from the opposite hallway beyond the huge clearing as I stare around frantically, sending shivers to assault my battered body.

The patter of feet echo through the room and I stare to my left as the government skid to a stop in the hall, they aim their guns at the group but hold their fire reluctantly. I ignore their presence weakly and stare up to meet his piercing green eyes and ruffled blonde hair- he wants to kill me.

I let out a long breath and a throaty whisper, my voice carrying across the stone walls.

"Daniel?" my voice wavers and I stand frozen in place, the group's eyes burn into my back in confusion but I continue to stare at Daniel across the room.

"Why are you here, Daniel?" I ask cautiously and he lets out a sadistic and sly laugh.

"Oh Maddy, I think you know," he states happily and I shake my head in fear, my lips part to voice my pleads but shrieks flow through the air.

My head snaps to the right corridor as the zombies pile into view, at the front their leader stands with his arms outstretched. Holding them back, overpowering them. He lets out a deep growl and I flinch at his tone, the others echo it but stay completely still.

It's a standoff.

I place my hand on my forehead faintly and stare around me, everyone and everything is here. I whisper cautiously to myself but I feel the group listening intently to my words.

"Breathe, Madeline. Just breathe."