Bastardo Ingles

Goosebumps cover my skin as a sudden gush of wind hits my arm. We have been standing in the port of Southampton for one whole hour in the freezing cold waiting for Phillip to arrive. Because of the storm many people believe that Pillip is dead and I pray to God it is true.

In all my life I have never seen such an entry. Mary has musicians to play as he walks down the streets and for confetti to be thrown. A huge red carpet aligns the street specifically for him, she is trying much too hard I am sure he will laugh when he sees it.

"Kate, there is a ship!" Maud says by my side with her finger pointing to the sea. I follow the direction of her hand and see very faintly in the mist of the day an outline of a ship. The bell from the huge watchtower behind me starts ringing, telling the Queen that he has arrived.

Two days ago we had a carriage ride into Heveningham with a letter from Mary. She had demanded Elizabeth to come to Southampton to see the new king of England arrive. Of course she would be pushed to the back so that he could not see her when he arrived, Mary wanted all attention on her but it is a way to show off to make her beautiful sister jealous but Elizabeth was not jealous, not in the slightest. As soon as we had arrived Mary had given Elizabeth Maud, a New lady in waiting to keep her out of trouble. Maud is a young fool, she is the one more likely to be in trouble. I watch as the boat comes closer and I start to see the richness of the ship. A beautiful mermaid made of gold sits on the front of the ship and the virgin Mary is decorated on the side with other holy pictures. The ship must have cost hundreds.

Slowly it drifts into the port and several men run forward to tie the knots and connect it to England. A ramp is brought forward and a tall man with dark hair appears. He walks slowly down the ramp and as he comes closer I begin to see his features. He is not an unattractive man but his long pointed chin gives him a mean evil look that makes me want to look away. His clothes are rich and wealthy with a gold chain around his front. When he reaches the dock he puts his hands on his hips and he smiles. As other men walk down he speaks to them in Spanish and laughs. He has an arrogance about him that I know Elizabeth will not like. Lord Cecil approaches and bows to him as everyone is silent.

"Your majesty, May I welcome you to England." There is a silence until Phillip and his men laugh hysterically. What are they laughing at I wonder as I see Cecils cheeks grow red with embarrassment.

"Besame el culo viejo" Phillip replies making his men roar with laughter. I have never spoken a word of Spanish in my life but I hear Maud gasp beside me.

"What did he say?" I ask.

"Kiss my ass, old man." She whispers into my ear. What has Mary done? she has brought the devil to England and is going to make him our king to reign over all. She has never been such a fool. When he finally stops laughing he walks past Cecil and sees the crowd waiting on the port. He smiles as guards move us apart leaving a gap for him to get through. His eyes skim across the people before him and he stops at me. I shudder at the evilness of his stare there is no kindness inside of him. He smiles at me like a wolf would to his prey and I quickly look down at the floor, I cannot bare to look at him. I finally hear footsteps as he and his men walk by and then the musicians start, they play a triumphant tune that you would expect to play when a soldier returns from battle. But here is no chivalrous knight. Horses are brought forward and he climbs on top and the procession begins.

Crowds gather all through the streets, some cheer while others shout and glare but the ones that do are dragged out of the crowd by guards. I follow after him with all of the others by my side. We walk for thirty minutes before we finally reach the palace. Many guards lead the horses inside the gates and it is shut behind us. I look up and see Mary standing on the palace steps, she beams as soon as she sees her husband to be. I search the crowd of courtiers, looking for Elizabeth until I find her pushed into the back, covered by two women. She looks sad and I know why she is. She may hate her sister but she knows that her sisters stupid mistake will plunge England into misery.