commands

I stare into the fire as it crackles, the wood turning black and horrible as the flames travel further. The flames dance in the air, wrapping around each other in a romantic embrace before moving away from each other. The door from behind me opens making all of the flames move to left with the slight breeze, as soon as the door is closed they return to their original dance as if nothing happened at all. I look around slowly in the silence, expecting to see a maid but am surprised to see George. His bright orange cloak still tied around his neck tells me he has only just come back from visiting his father in Kent.

"Are you ready?" He asks as he watches me.

"I don't really feel like it today, George."

"You've changed your mind?" He replies as he walks towards me, not even bothering to hide the frustration he is feeling. I know that I promised I would go for a horse ride with him but now I do not feel like it, that's all.

"We can go tomorrow."

"And will you change your mind then as well?" I say nothing as he sits down in front of me, taking my warm hands into his cold ones. I fight the urge to pull away from his cold touch. "You know," he carries on. "When you are my wife you will not be able to refuse me." I glare at him as he walks towards the fire to warm his hands. All the time he is always talking about how my life will be so different when we are married, so far he has not mentioned one thing that sounds appealing. Is that really what marriage is?

There have been few men that have wanted to control me, treat me like every other woman in this horrid world but it never worked. Although I felt like a prisoner in Elizabeth's control I was more free than I knew. "Have you even been outside today, my dear? The sun is shining like Christ himself."

"George, I mean no harm, I am just not up to it." Finally he gives up and takes a seat beside me, letting the warmth from the fire warm his wind stricken skin. There is silence for a while as we watch the fire.

"I had a letter delivered to me yesterday from her majesty the Queen."

"Really?" I ask. Why would Mary write a letter to George?

"Yes, she wants to be at my wedding, she would like to meet you." George looks at me with a smile full of pride and power.

"She already knows me. Have you forgotten she imprisoned me in the tower? She hates me!"

"But I am going to be Lord George Carling of York and you will be my wife."

"That doesn't change anything." I don't understand, I thought that Mary would be ordering George not to marry me and be already choosing him another bride. There must be a reason she wishes to see me. Could it be because of Elizabeth?

"Why are you arguing with me?" He replies, his anger rising rapidly. "The Queen has asked for my and your presence at court and by God we will go, whether you like it or not." Suddenly he grabs me by the arm, yanking me off the chair with a forceful motion that makes me yell with pain. "Now we are going for a ride." Before I can say a word he drags me out of the room by my wrist and I cry out, begging him to stop. Several times I almost trip on the hem of my dress so I lift it up with my other hand as he continually drags me through the hall and down the stairs. The cold suddenly hits my bare shoulders as I remember I do not have a coat on and he drags me to the stables.

As soon as he stops I pull my hand away, noticing the pink skin he has left behind, I wince at the pain.

"What makes you think you can drag me through my own house, in front of my servants to my horses?! How dare you!" I shout as he begins to untie the horses from the stable, releasing and detaching them with his hands.

"Katherine, I am on my last thread with you, you repeatedly deny my commands."

"You can't command me!" I scream as I push him with all my strength. He is taken a back and his eyes open wide with shock as he wobbles slightly on his feet but doesn't fall over completely as I had hoped. He stares at me, his anger obvious, but he swallows it and instead his voice comes out very calm.

"Then call off the wedding." My anger had been boiling in my chest but now I just stare at him, thinking. What if I did call off the wedding? After all I have that power. I am a lady in my own right. He wants to command me, control me. Use my money and power. I see that now. Does he even love me, or does he just want my money? But what if I did call it off? He was the person who made my business great. He would take away all his help and slowly my business would fail, I would lose everything. I would be destitute again.

He waits patiently for my answer, the horses nay loudly as they wait to be taken out.

"My lady?" I turn around to see the stable boy, his mousy hair greasy on the side of his face and a horrible streak of dirt on his cheek. He looks awkwardly up at me, his jaw twitching nervously. "Would you like me to get someone to fetch you a coat, m'lady, before you leave?" I smile at his politeness, despite the horrible circumstance I am in.

"That would be wonderful, thank you." I reply. He runs away, towards the house leaving me and George alone.

"So you are coming?" He asks as soon as the boy is out of sight. I don't reply but instead begin un tying my shoes and replacing them with my riding shoes in the corner of the stable. George mounts his horse as a servant appears with my fur trimmed coat. I put it on quickly, protecting my skin from the harsh cold. My body shivers viciously as I mount my horse, my dress falling either side of it, the black material covering its smooth white fur. "Are you ready?"

"Yes." I reply as I wait for his command to move out.

"Huh." He says while patting his legs either side of his horse, the animal instantly begins moving. I do the same and trot dutifully behind him.