Chapter 18

Phillip stormed into Luna's office. Thor was sitting at the desk, staring blankly out the window.

"We need to talk," said Phillip.

Thor said nothing. He didn't move. Just kept staring.

"Did you hear me?"

Thor's facial expression didn't change. No surprise. No acknowledgment. Then he started speaking in Chinese.

"What the—?"

Thor raised a finger as he continued. Thor turned to face Phillip. Finally, Phillip could see he was wearing a Bluetooth earbud. Thor pointed at it for emphasis. Phillip's face turned bright red, and he mouthed, "Sorry."

Thor indicated the seat across from the desk, and Phillip sat down. Thor turned back to the window, and continued to converse for a few more minutes. Phillip stood up and slowly retreating toward the door, but Thor stopped him.

"Phillip. Please sit down."

"You can't just fire me."

"It's good to see you too," said Thor.

"Oh, cut the bullshit already, will you?"

"What makes you think you've been fired?"

Phillip strode over to Thor's desk and slammed his fist down on the smooth surface.

"When Luna hears about this, she'll have your head."

"I insist you sit down." Once Phillip did so, Thor continued, "Thank you. Now where's all this coming from?"

"You revoked my permissions. Did you think I wouldn't notice?"

Thor winced and Phillip thought he heard him curse under his breath.

"Well," said Thor. "That's unfortunate. This was not how it was supposed to happen."

"This was not supposed to happen," Phillip said.

"Look. You're right. You're fired. But you were not supposed to find out this way. We were supposed to talk things over before they revoked your permissions. In fact, we were supposed to talk earlier today, but I had a customer call that went over. And now, it appears they jumped the gun."

"I'm a board member. You can't get rid of me that easily. There needs to be a vote."

"There was one. You weren't invited. Nobody blocks the incoming CEO's first request."

Phillip leaped up, pointing his finger at Thor's face. "You're not going to get away with this. You. You—"

"We're done here," said Thor. "Oh, and by the way, we aren't announcing your early retirement just yet. We wouldn't want to harm company morale and all. So look busy and smile. But just to be perfectly clear, I never want to see your face in here again."

Phillip slammed his hand on the desk one last time before spinning around and thundering toward the door. But as he reached for the handle, someone pushed the door open, and he leaped backward to avoid getting hit.

"Oh," gasped Thor's secretary. "I'm sorry. I didn't know anybody was in here with—"

"I was just leaving," said Phillip.

"There's a Taye Flanagan here to see you," she said to Thor.

"Yes, of course. Show him in."

Phillip stepped out of the way as a burly security guard led a young black man into the room. Phillip thought he saw handcuffs, but before he could get a better look, the secretary pushed him out of the room, slamming the door shut behind him.