Chapter 24

Doug stared at the sorry sight in Thor's office. Chained to the desk and beaten to a bloody pulp sat a kid, who after a moment, Doug recognized as Taye. Thor had said things weren't going well, but Doug wasn't expecting this. How crude and naïve. Not that Doug was against the cruder methods—when they worked. But torture was only effective in forcing the most basic of actions. Like getting someone to sign a paper against their will. It wouldn't get someone to tell the truth or do anything more than basic brain function.

In Doug's experience, it was the thinking part of the brain that shut down quickest under duress. That's why people will say anything under torture. It's not that they're lying; a person simply isn't capable of distinguishing a truth from a lie if they think they're about to be killed. Survival instincts kick in—the reptile brain. And those instincts will cause a person to say or do anything that might possibly keep them alive.

Some people have no respect for genius, Doug thought. No one could torture Vincent van Gogh into painting the Starry Night. And this kid, Taye, was the Vincent van Gogh of machine learning. He was the keystone to Doug's master plan. Without him, the whole operation would fall apart. What had Thor done to him? Beaten him to within an inch of his life. Taye was only one of two people on the whole planet capable of completing Doug's plan, and Thor and his men had almost killed him.

"Taye, are you all right?" Doug asked.

Taye didn't move. His head rested on his arms, which were shackled to the big oak desk. Doug could see from how he was struggling to breathe in no particular pattern that he was not asleep.

"I'm so sorry about how they treated you, Taye. This is horrific and despicable. Are you hungry or thirsty?"

Doug went over to the kid and unlocked the handcuffs that were too tight around his wrists. They left bloody rings when removed. Taye didn't say anything, but Doug could see that he was crying.

"Don't cry, Taye. I know this has been hard on you, but don't cry. I'm here now. I'll take care of you and make sure this never happens again."

Taye looked up at Doug. One eye was so swollen that it wouldn't open. There was a gash across his cheek that trickled blood down to his lip. He spat angrily into Doug's face and dropped his head again.

Doug pulled a handkerchief from his jacket pocket and wiped his face.

"I deserved that, Taye. I shouldn't have left you alone with them. That's my fault."

Finally, Taye spoke. "You lied."

Doug smiled.

"That's not entirely fair, now is it? Sure, I omitted the whole truth, but you wouldn't have made your breakthrough if you knew everything from the start. Or am I wrong?"

"You disgust me."

"Here, let's get you cleaned up." Doug reached under Taye's arm and pulled him to his feet.

"You might as well get it over with and kill me now. I won't be able to do what you want. I've tried. I can't."

"We'll see about that, Taye. I believe in you. I always have."