Mr. President

As Dannie poured us two glasses of a local brew, I continued to ask questions about what she'd been up to since I'd last seen her. "So what else have you been doing?"

She tossed a coaster down on the bar before placing an overflowing glass of beer in front of me, foam flowing over the lip and down the side. I took a large mouthful and glanced curiously down at the almost chocolate colored beer. It tasted exactly like root beer. I chuckled at Dannie's never ending sense of humor. "Did you give me root beer?"

"Yes and no," Dannie's peels of laughter touched my ears, drawing a smile to my own lips. "I remembered root beer was your favorite drink, and I had bought alcoholic root beer a few days back because I much prefer it over the ales and IPAs. You like it?"

The glass was already back at my lips, so I gave her a thumbs up instead of speaking. Once it was back down on the coaster, I began the questions again. "So what else have you been up to?"

Dannie bit her lip excitedly as she peeked over at me. "I got engaged!"

"What?" I gasped, reaching for left hand in a childlike, grabbing motion. She gave me her hand which proudly displayed a shimmering diamond ring. "What's his name?"

"The boys call him Digger, but, to me, he's Daniel," she giggled before rolling her eyes. "And before you say it, I know--Daniel and Dannie."

"That's so adorable! It's just shocking that you're engaged cause I still see you as my pigtailed, freckle faced, mud eating best friend. You should know, however, that you can't get married unless I approve of him," I teased lightly. Dannie chuckled, shoving my arm playfully. "Love you too, Dannie. Hey, how about we toast to your engagement? Oh! Speaking of toasting, I almost forgot I owe the guys a round of whiskey! Would you mind if I helped though? It's been so long since I've done any kind of waitressing around here."

Dannie nodded her head towards the alcohol behind her. "Of course. You don't even need to ask."

We continued talking and laughing as we set about filling shot glasses and delivering them to the men in the bar. A few of them would stop me and offer condolences, maybe even share a few stories at which point I would start tearing up all over again. These boys loved my dad, and he loved them right back. They were a family. They were my family.

"Hey, Jitterbug!" Dusty's loud voice suddenly rose above the music and laughter, catching my ear right as I was delivering a tray full of beer to a group of younger men who insisted on flirting with me. Alright, so we were family up to a certain point. "C'mere for a second, will ya? I want you to meet somebody."

Dannie's eyes flashed to me, and an almost knowing smile crept across her lips, casting a devious expression on her features. My eyebrows knitted together at her response, but she only offered me a fluttering of her hand in a motion to get me moving towards her dad.

"Coming, Dusty!" I hollered back, tucking the now empty tray beneath my arm as I hurried over to where he was standing next to a pool table. Dusty was facing me; however, it was the broad, muscular back of the man standing before him that caught my attention. I couldn't help but let my eyes wander lower to his ass, which was nicely highlighted in his jeans.

A steady blush flushed across my cheeks, and I nervously brushed a stray lock of hair from my face as I lifted my gaze up to the back of his neck. Peeking out from the back of his leather jacket were the tips of tattooed angel wings which brushed just beneath his hairline.

Dusty shot me a wink at catching me staring which caused the man in front of me to turn around.

My breath hitched in my throat as vibrant blue eyes met mine. Black hair, dark as an oil spill, topped his tanned complexion in a windblown halo, and his features were sharp, drawing attention to the man's chiseled jawline bearing a neatly trimmed beard.