The Most Dangerous Pool Game

Colt tossed his head back and released deep, bellowing laughter as I stood beside him with humor shining in my eyes. A grin tugged at my lips, and I found myself fighting back my own laughter purely from the infectious sound of his own.

"Alright, alright," Colt conceded, still chuckling softly. His hand remained securely wrapped around my own which allowed him the perfect opportunity to drop a soft kiss on my knuckles. "I deserved that, but, to be fair, I did apologize."

"Yes, you did, and I really appreciate it," I smiled, inhaling deeply as my eyes settled on the bar in front of us. There was a large group of people huddled around the pool table as Dannie and an unfamiliar man battled each other in a dangerous game of pool. Luckily, Dannie hadn't gotten her father's innate ability to lose at pool; however, the fact that someone had been foolish enough to play her was quite entertaining in itself.

Dannie hunched over the table with her pool stick and lined up a shot. "Two ball in the back right pocket." It was unnecessary for her to announce this, but there was something so satisfying about her sinking the ball where she called it. Her skills were unparalleled.

The man she was playing gave her a shit-eating grin and shook his head. His skin was an alluring driftwood-brown hue, and his dark chocolate eyes shimmered boldly with humor. Something that looked hauntingly familiar to attraction lurked behind his gaze. Dannie was obviously very well aware of his interest and even seemed to appreciate the heated look he offered, but as soon as she drew her pool stick back to shoot, her expression settled into unbridled determination.

"That's not going to work, Angel," his velvet voice rumbled with laughter. He readjusted his grip on the pool stick in his hands so he could lean over just a few inches from the worn felt blanketing the table. He was at Dannie's eye level, seeing the playing field from her same view. The only difference was that, while his eyes were on the table, Dannie's were burning holes through his head. Her stick was still drawn back, but she had stopped shooting when he had spoken.

My eyes popped open at the stranger's assured statement, and I immediately turned my startled attention to Colt. "Who the hell is that guy?"

"That would be Daniel, her fiancé," he chuckled deeply, highly amused by the antics unfolding before us. Colt and I were standing in the doorway of the bar area as we watched the game play on.

"Keep talking and these aren't the only balls that are going to be hit with a stick tonight." Dannie's voice was dangerously even, but a fire blazed behind her hazel eyes.

Daniel's eyes illuminated with unreleased laughter as he stood up to his full height, a good head taller than Dannie. He placed his hands palms-up in front of him and took a step backwards. "Fair enough. Take your shot, baby."

Dannie resumed her position, but there was a note of hesitancy. I lifted my chin and called, "Go left an eighth of an inch."

Dannie swung her attention to me, breaking into a broad grin before settling it on a confused expression. "Why an eighth of an inch?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. It sounded right?"

Dannie stared blankly at me for a moment before nodding her head. "Alright. Fair enough." She readjusted her aim to the measurements I suggested, and Daniel's eyebrows furrowed in confusion to, what I assumed, was her blind trust of me. Dannie ignored it, however, and took the shot, launching her pool stick forward at a break-neck speed. The two ball was almost a blur against the felt as it ricocheted off the far wall and was forced backwards towards the back right pocket.