Chapter 44

Ruh couldn't focus on the performers in front of her

Ruh couldn't focus on the performers in front of her. The ghongroo chimes were too distracting. She knotted her hands in fists to stop the flashbacks of her past unravel to her. As much as she was curious, the banquet held in honor of her return was not the place she wished to see them. Beside her, she looked at Jellal through her veil.

It throughly impressed her how much he had changed, now that she had a clear memory of his younger self. He was looking straight ahead. But to her, it seemed he was unfocused too. He turned, catching her looking at him. She quickly turned away. A few hours past she had stormed away from him. Her heart squeezed with jealousy after she knew Nadiya or her own self's imposter was with child. His child.

          The ghoongroo chimes stopped as the door guard announced Nadiya's presence. She walked in with all her maternal glow. Ruh clenched her fist in jealousy. To add fuel to the fire, Jellal stepped down the podium. He walked towards her and took her hand and gently led to the podium.

        Ruh clenched her fist tighter as he made her sit right beside him, on the throne. The courtiers were whispering much to their amusement. It was an insult to her that she was seated higher than Ruh. But  no one was brave enough to challenge the emperor, not even her.

        The celebrations dimmed as the door guard announced a guest. Through the wide arch door way came in a old lady. Only sounds in the celebration hall were that of her walking stick clinking. She stood before the podium and presented her greetings.

          "Your majesty, may I glimpse into the future of your children?"

        Ruh saw Jellal laugh lightly, "Ofcourse."

           Jellal motioned Nadiya to go to her, she took her hand in hers and closed her eyelids. The woman then proceeded to open her eyes and looked at Ruh begum, Ruh looked at her surprised. She let go of Nadiya's hand and stood before Ruh, through her veil she could feel the woman's endearing gaze.

           "Ruh begum, you are a mother yet you're not. You have many children yet only one is truly yours. And each of you raise will be raised as a ruler, each with a name on every throne. Raise them well, Ruh begum."

           Ruh felt chills climb down her spine. Her words were confusing and made no sense to her. But the whole court looked at her. She wanted to escape all the curious glances.

         "What about me?" Nadiya voiced her concern.

         The woman snapped out of her trance, "Oh I don't know! It's a son, I think!" She said nonchalantly.

       Ruh watched the whole court buzz slowly into a cheering uproar. She didn't know why she felt jealous of her at every instance. She scoffed when Jellal presented the old lady with a hundred gold mohurs.

***

In a series of unfortunate events that occured that evening she also stumbled across Nadiya in the corridors. She was followed by two eunuch guards. Ruh couldn't understand why she was being protected as if she was the most precious thing in the palace. To annoy her, Nadiya stopped right before her, her face in a mocking smile.