00 - Meeting Her.

Justice's P.O.V.
Uptown Montgomery, Alabama
*6 months earlier*
-

*Whites Only*

The sign has become quite common to see since the move to Montgomery, Alabama. I still remember the first time I saw one. I reckoned I was about 7 years old . Momma and I were walking to our nearby grocery store when a big black and white sign caught my eye.

Curious now, I began to tug on her jacket sleeve.

"Yes, Princess?" She said stopping to glance down at me.

My little hands instantly shot up to point up at the restaurant sign across the street. "What does that sign mean?"

Mama's eyes followed the direction of my hands before realizing what I was talking about. Within seconds, a look of disgust had covered her face.

"It means we're not allowed in places like that baby."

"Why not, mama?" Back then, my little 7 year old self could not understand why someone wouldn't allow Mama, the sweetest person I know, into any place.

"Because we're not baby. " By now the disgusted look Ma wore just a couple of seconds ago had disappeared as she kneeled down to meet me face to face. "Now let's get back home, before your dad gets worried."

I complied, skipping after Mama as we made our way down the streets of Montgomery,Alabama.

-

"Justice . . Justice! " My dad hissed from the other side of the booth.

The sweet sound of Etta James' "Stormy Weather" played from the nearby jukebox. My mouth opened to sing but quickly closed after I realized where I was.

My eyes shifted from the whites only sign hung up in the very front of the restaurant to find my mom and dad sitting directly across from me. Both wore looks of concerns as they continue to stare at me.

"Yes daddy?" I answered.

"Did you not hear anything I just said?" He asked in disbelief.

Honestly, I was too caught in a daydream to listen to anything my parents had to say. But I can bet my bottom dollar it was about my decision to transfer from the integrated private school to the all-black school just a couple of blocks away from my neighborhood.

"Daddy if this is about school, I'm not changing my mind." I said softly.

Washington Heights was a school full of nothing but racist whites. And let's just say they didn't take too well with my dad getting me enrolled there.

"Mama, you know me well enough to know I'll been doing everything you and Daddy says my whole life. " I pause to see my mom give me a simple nod of her head. "It's my final year before I go off to college Daddy. For Lord's sake I just want this to be a fun and memorable one."

"She's right John." My mom agreed turning to my dad. " We been making her go to all white schools all her life. The least we can do is grant her the opportunity to go to school with people of her color as well."

I held my breath as I continue to stare at my dad. His facial expression seemed strangely similar to the same one he use when trying to make an important decision about a case.

After what seemed like hours but in reality was only a few minutes, he finally sighed. "Where's the transfer papers? "

I couldn't hide the smile from forming on my face as I took the manilla envelope out of my jacket and handed it to him.

"Now if I sign these papers you better be on your best behavior going there, you hear me?" He said beginning to sign each page.

I nodded intensely. "Yeah, yeah of course Daddy."

Goodbye Washington Heights. I C Norcom High here I come!