S.U.N.N.Y.

Justice's P.O.V.
March 18, 1963

      "Jay how many times am I 'gonna tell you? " Landon said looking down at me. "I love you okay? That girl ain't mean anything to me."

Landon and I sat by the outer banks
of Alabama, our sort of hiding place when we needed to get away from all things Montgomery. I was worn out physically, emotionally and mentally. I couldn't possibly bring myself to fuss back at Landon for being the liar he was.

"Whatever you say, L." I said. My eyes followed the flow of the huge river. Just a few seconds ago, I thought about jumping in it. Crazy right?

"Jay ? . . . . . Jay ? . . . . Jay, get up now!" My head snapped back to look at Landon.

"What?" I said finally looking up. My eyes were met with the faces of two white men standing just a few feet away from Landon and I.

Oh my god. I looked at Landon and back at the two men. Judging by the two smug looks on their face, I could tell this was not going to end well.

"Landon!" I immediately cried out. He didn't take his eyes off the two men as he ordered me to get behind him. My feet quickly complied.

It seem like the two men and Landon were having sort of a stare off. All of sudden the pair slowly started walking toward us. Both had somewhat of a devious look in their eyes.

"Landon what are we going to do?" I said in full on panic mode now.

He looked unsure before he replied. "We're going to protect ourselves."

My eyes bulged. "L this is the South!! We could die!"

The silence that followed showed Landon knew this could be the exact result. I broke out into a instant prayer to hope it'll will be anything but that.

I looked down to see both of Landon's fist ball up and back up to see the white men growing closer and closer.

Lord help the both of us . . .