00. Meeting Him

Landon P.O.V.
Southside Montgomery, Alabama

My eyes seem glued to the television set as I fixed my younger brothers breakfast. The news was brodcasting the latest Civil Rights protest that took place two days ago downtown. My face couldn't help but frowned up as I saw the police brutally attacking men and women who participated.

"Such a shame." I heard the country accent say from behind me. I smiled as I went over to hand my little brothers, AJ and Lenny, their bowls of Sugar Rice Kinkles.

"Goodmorning Mama."

"Goodmorning Junior." She said as she took a seat at the kitchen table.

If there's was nothing I hated more than anything it was when my mom called me Junior. My mom was only 16 when she got pregnant with me and what did my dad do when he found out ? Walk out. Just like AJ and Lenny's did afterwards. All just a bunch of cowards.

"Ma how many times do I have to tell to stop calling me that?" Irritation laced my voice as I begin my daily routine before school. Usually this was when my mom said some smart mouth response to shut me up. But today she was quiet. Almost too quiet.

I turned around to see why and my eyes immediately found the cause.

I cleared my throat. "Those the bills for this month?"

My mom only nodded. By the look on her face she was thinking the same thing she thought last month. That we might not be able to make ends meet this month.

"Mama don't worry. I can quit football get a job at the automobile shop beside the school or even as a table boy at the club you work at."

I love football. I had dreams of being the first black men to play for the number one football program in the country, University of Alabama. Coach said if I keep working like I do then I might have a chance. But believe it or not. I'll drop football and the dream if it meant helping my mother and family through our struggle.

"No Landon." My mom said beginning to clean the kitchen. Something she tend to do when she was stressed out. "I can't ask you to do that."

"You don't have to ask Ma." I fired back. "I'll gladly do that for you, AJ and Lenny."

At the mention of their names, AJ and Lenny looked up at me.

Mama shook her head as she swept the kitchen floor.  "I can't and won't let you do that Landon. I want you to focus on school and football. Let me worry about the bills. Okay?"

I sighed. "Okay mama."

She then came over to give my bookbag. "Good now get out of here. School starts in 10 minutes. I love you, Junior."

"I love you ma." I said taking the bag from her and kissing her on cheek. As I made my way out the door, I told myself by any means necessary I was going to make sure I got this football scholarship and moved my mom and brothers out of this lifestyle once and for good.